Shot my 450 for the first time and....

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Shot my 450 for the first time and....

Postby JCoop » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:08 pm

This rifle is a monster! :o

I love this thing! Shoots like a champ - very smooth. And it seems to hit like a ton of bricks! The berms behind my targets had a crater dug out behind them. This rifle is going to put the smack down on deer and bear!

I got the new Bushie mag with black follower and it worked great. I also picked up a 30rd Sig mag and it also worked fine with no problems. I only loaded a max of 7 rounds into it, but I suspect it would certainly handle more.

The recoil isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it is definitely not light when shooting off a rest or offhand doing range-work.

I also installed a Pentax RD10 red dot sight and tried that out. So far I am impressed. It has a very clear image and the adjustments on the red dot go from barely visible to nearly-spotlight intensity. It's very easy to install on either standard flat top or weaver rail. I had it dialed in after 3 shots. Of course, I don't know how it will take to weather or the extended punishment a big bore AR can dish out, but I'll let ya know if I have any problems with it. I was shooting offhand at the end of the session at a target at 100yds and had a 6" group during semi-rapid fire. Off the bench I was getting a 3" group. Not bad for 50+ year old eyes at that range :D
JCoop

Re: Shot my 450 for the first time and....

Postby thatguy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:47 pm

It is a hoot to shoot.. I only got to put 1 deer down with it this year (our rifle season is only 2 wks long :x ) Im excited to get a shot at a few more deer next year..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby JCoop » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:46 pm

So my shoulder knows that this rifle is a hard hitting machine. But how does it compare to the .45-70? My admittedly cursory web research seems to indicate that the .450 Busmaster 250gr round has more energy out to at least 300 yards than the .venerable .45-70, slaughterer of uncounted masses of buffalo. Do the charts accurately represent Thumper's capacity to down large game?
JCoop

Postby MudBug » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:29 pm

I am also no an expert, but in my little bit of research I have found that the 450b does indeed beat most of the legacy loadings for the 45-70, but there are some more modern 45-70 loadings that beat the 450b.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thatguy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:32 pm

JCoop wrote:So my shoulder knows that this rifle is a hard hitting machine. But how does it compare to the .45-70? My admittedly cursory web research seems to indicate that the .450 Busmaster 250gr round has more energy out to at least 300 yards than the .venerable .45-70, slaughterer of uncounted masses of buffalo. Do the charts accurately represent Thumper's capacity to down large game?

I added a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad to my rifle and i hardly feel the recoil/kick - even when shooting off of a bench...

Someone else will have to chime in on the 45-70 - sorry..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby talonxracer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:23 pm

I installed a JP Tactical comp/break, MGI rate reducer and with the thick buttpad on the ACE skeleton stock, the kick is seriously minimalized. When shooting off sandbags the scopes cross hairs never leave the kill zone.
talonxracer

Postby bushmeister » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:49 am

JCoop wrote: And it seems to hit like a ton of bricks! The berms behind my targets had a crater dug out behind them. This rifle is going to put the smack down on deer and bear!
:D

Yep, I can't help but smile at the downrange impact of this thing. I love watching everyones faces when the shooting commences :shock: .. I've taken 3 deer so far with it, and NONE have mangaged to go more than 10 yds!!!
bushmeister

Postby talonxracer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:53 pm

bushmeister wrote:
JCoop wrote: And it seems to hit like a ton of bricks! The berms behind my targets had a crater dug out behind them. This rifle is going to put the smack down on deer and bear!
:D

Yep, I can't help but smile at the downrange impact of this thing. I love watching everyones faces when the shooting commences :shock: .. I've taken 3 deer so far with it, and NONE have mangaged to go more than 10 yds!!!

I learned a lesson to be more selective of the trees I tack the targets to, because after 3-4 rounds most smaller dia trees fall over....
talonxracer

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:24 am

I shot my 450 yesterday, and i must say the recoil is much more mild than i was expecting. i had just fired a steyr scout in .308, and the grabbed my 450, very similar.

i like it.

alot. :D
thebrassnuckles

Postby claimbuster » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 pm

The 45-70 loaded for some of the newer rifles such as the Ruger #1 can easily surpass the 450B. But then, who cares. My 450B is incredibly accurate and the follow on shots are bang-bang, right on target. Ruger #1 can't do that.

:D :D :D :D
claimbuster

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles