20Rd PMag Limiter Mod

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

20Rd PMag Limiter Mod

Postby madone » Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 am

So after reading the mother of all Magazine threads http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23 I successfully modded 2 20Rd PMags for my .450 following Siringo's awesome advice and directions for the PMag mods.

I did this because I wanted a non-metal (shortest possible) mag for hunting. However I now needed to limit the mags capacity (because they hold 7) to it's legal hunting capacity (in Maine) to 5 rds total.

Magpul has recently release new mag limiters for their 20rd PMags. They come in a 5 & 10 rd variety. For the .450, the 10rd limiter is what we are going to use http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG281/101

Pre Mod Limiter:
10_rd_limiter.png
Limiter
10_rd_limiter.png (95.01 KiB) Viewed 12083 times

As seen in these pics (not mine, but used/modded for demonstration purposes). If you cut the top off the limiter, the 20rd will now hold a max of 5 .450 rds and still allow the use of the dust cover. The best part is this limiter is made for the PMag system so it works flawlessly.

Here is the place you need to cut:
10_rd_limiter_with_cutline.png
With cut line
10_rd_limiter_with_cutline.png (93.56 KiB) Viewed 12083 times

What the finished limiter will look like for a max capacity of 5 .450 rds in the mag:
10_rd_limiter_with_cut.png
cut
10_rd_limiter_with_cut.png (78.61 KiB) Viewed 12083 times

Very simple and easier then making a custom block.
madone

Re: 20Rd PMag Limiter Mod

Postby Hoot » Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 am

If I went that route as opposed to a wood chunk in the bottom, the second mod would be to grind off that stub on top of the follower. The part with either "5 ROUND" or "10 ROUND" printed on it. That is, as long as it doesn't have a negative impact upon the strength of the follower.

The Minnesota DNR allows a simple wood or other material chunk in the bottom. I suspect they don't worry about you changing it quickly when you see the conservation officer coming through the woods.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby KY_Mike » Wed May 25, 2011 5:22 am

Hoot, if I'm not mistaken... that nub is actually the key that fits through the floorplate of the Pmag, holding it in place... so you should be able to grind off the "xx rounds" text (without removing too much) and not affect functionality.
KY_Mike

Postby Hoot » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 am

KY_Mike wrote:Hoot, if I'm not mistaken... that nub is actually the key that fits through the floorplate of the Pmag, holding it in place... so you should be able to grind off the "xx rounds" text (without removing too much) and not affect functionality.

There's my lack of exposure showing. :wink: I've never seen a Pmag and thought I was looking at the follower, not some device that fits in the bottom, just above the floorplate. OK, here's my Emily Latella voice. "Never Mind..."

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Fri May 27, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby madone » Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm

yeah, sorry guys. I guess I should of explained this new Magpul Limiter better.

This new piece replaces the standard Magpul internal floorplate with this one that limits the follower from going past a certain position.

here is a Magpul image to help you see how the "system" works

http://store.magpul.com/images/uploads/133_683_popup.jpg
madone

Postby wildcatter » Thu May 26, 2011 4:19 pm

madone wrote:yeah, sorry guys. I guess I should of explained this new Magpul Limiter better.

This new piece replaces the standard Magpul internal floorplate with this one that limits the follower from going past a certain position.

here is a Magpul image to help you see how the "system" works

http://store.magpul.com/images/uploads/133_683_popup.jpg

Huh, I'm with Hoot and have always used a piece of branch or wood of some kind, when I get into the woods. So, using this cool device how many rounds of 450b can I get into a 20rd mag? We can do 5 here in MI during the 15 days of gun-deer season and I see if only 4 went in I could adjust the limiter for more ammo, etc..

Here's a thought, for My Duck Plug Idea. On my twelve rd mags, I take the floor plate off and load the area between the plate and the spring with live rounds. The live rds can not be fired through the mag and is legal here, and in a total emergency, you've got extra rds available for you at all times and the DNR are perfectly happy with my Duck Plug..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Fri May 27, 2011 11:18 am

Since I moved here in 1976, MN limited you to 5, but recently upped it to 10 at the same time they started allowing folks to hunt deer with sub .25 caliber centerfire cartridges.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Hoot wrote:Since I moved here in 1976, MN limited you to 5, but recently upped it to 10 at the same time they started allowing folks to hunt deer with sub .25 caliber centerfire cartridges.

Hoot

An astute, fellow Minnewahoo just dashed my suburban myth.

I can not recall ever being so wrong about something I felt I knew was right. Seriously, I have chosen sides on facts that could go either way, but somehow I got it in my head what I said was absolutely gospel. I'm having one of those epiphanies that comes when you suddenly get caught in a senior moment. Minnesota apparently has never had verbiage in their big game laws that dictates magazine capacity. I can't imagine just coming up with it. Perhaps it is an artifact of growing up and hunting in Maryland, but back then almost no one hunted with a non-sporting deer rifle. I am stupefied...

Actually, thinking back. Right after I moved here, I was invited to a party where the conversation turned to Smelt fishing, which I know now is actually Smelt netting. I heard Smelt, but my mind processed Arctic Char. I know... totally odd. Anyway, I started in about fishing through the ice for them and you'd think I declared that crappies were an endangered species. My girl friend at the time, a native Minnewahoo, never let me live that down. Every time we disagreed on something, I'd get that "Yeah, like ice fishing for Smelt!" :roll:

Our relationship did not outlast that summer in 1976, but the humility did.

Hoot
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles