Forward Assist

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Forward Assist

Postby Siringo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:05 pm

After reading an article about how to "quietly" chamber a round in an AR during hunting using the forward assist to soft seat, I tried this. However, my forward assist does not work or engage the carrier. I inspected the forward assist arm and it appears that it is worn or sheared away. Could it be that the recoil of the rifle causes the forward assist mechanism to move forward while the bolt is traveling backward, damaging the contact surface of the forward assist. I noticed on the forward assist button that the finish is slightly worn. Anyone else have this problem?

If this is happening, I could also be the cause of some others rifles that were short stroking.
Siringo

Re: Forward Assist

Postby thatguy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:10 pm

Im interested in the answer here as well.. That loud 'clang' as you drop the BCG is sorta loud

Siringo - where did you read this article? I dont remember seeing one here..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby dcbeattie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:16 pm

There was a question on the DPMS forum about this. Basically is said in the woods you don't want to release the charging handle because it's noisy. You would hold it as it goes forward and then use the forward assist to finish the job and get every thing to battery. I read this someplace else also, but don't remember were.
http://dpmsinc.com/forum/posts.aspx?postID=5638
Duke Beattie
Are we having fun yet?
dcbeattie

Postby Siringo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Shooting Illustrated January 2010 issue.
Siringo

Postby justin1990 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:21 pm

Using the forward assist to chamber a round with a little bit of stealth is common place and works well.

The end of the forward assist should be basically square to the axis of the button. Not sure why yours may be broke.

Of course you have to have the bolt carrier forward enough so that the forward assist engages the notches on the bolt carrier.

Your theory of the bolt carrier hitting the forward assist during recoil is possible, though I've not heard of it. I would think that if that were the case you'd have a few marks in a few of the rear most notches of the bolt carrier.
justin1990

Postby rugger16 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:49 am

Does the forward assist just flop around when the BCG is out? The spring should keep it out of the way of the BCG, however I guess if it sticks out just a little that would be all that it would take to take the corner off and for it to be come useless.

Do you have any pics so that we can do a pic diagnosis :D ?
rugger16

Postby talonxracer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:10 am

I use this method alot and have not had a single issue with the forward assist.
talonxracer

Postby Siringo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:35 pm

No pic's until I get the new parts. There can be several factors that could cause this. I shot heavy bullets and up till now have use a collapsable stock with a 2.8 OZ buffer (I have since gone back to the A2 stock and standard buffer -- for now). When I get the new parts and can take pic's I will post them. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen. Evidently not!
Siringo

Postby gunnut » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:10 pm

I have seen ARs in the past where the forward assist did not work. Definitely something to look out for!
gunnut

Postby Siringo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Finally got my parts from BM -- new forward assist. Note the attached pictures. The old assist is on the left. You can see where the tip has been sheared off at a 45 degree angle.While I can not get a good enough close up, it appears that it was "filed away" by the bolt carrier. There are no wear marks on the boat carrier and that would make sense since it is much harder.

In the second picture, note the peening the the area where the tension pin is located.

It is my belief that this damage occurred shooting with to light of a buffer - 2.8 oz - in a carbine stock using 300 and 400 gr bullets. I will varify that over time with the new heavy weight system and the new forward assist. Just something to be aware of and watch.

Siringo

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles