First Kill

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

First Kill

Postby JCoop » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:29 pm

I got to hunt this weekend and was able to drop a critter with my Bushie! At about 120 yards, 1 round jellied the lungs of a 194lb Russian Boar. I put the red dot where it belonged and touched it off. Absolute devastation. I am sold on the killing power of this round and this rifle.
JCoop

Re: First Kill

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:30 am

congrats...............have any pics?
Al in Mi

Postby JCoop » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 am

None with the rifle. A friend took a pic of me and the hanging pig after we got it out of the boonies. It was 19 degrees out and the wind was gusting over 50mph - we didn't linger out there any longer than necessary. I'll get a rifleless pic up when my friend sends me the pics.
JCoop

Postby the_mad_rshn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Congratulations on the kill. I am yet to kill a pig.
I second the quality of the round. It performes perfectly on them critters.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby thatguy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

NICE!! I keep reading all the posts on different forums about hog hunting and I really need to try that sometime.. Cant wait to see the pic

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby JCoop » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:06 pm

I was happy with the way the Pentax red dot scope worked as well. I put the dot on the pig and touched one off and it hit exactly at point of aim. What I did not like, though, was the lack of magnification. There had been a large deer about 250+ yds up the hillside and I couldn't tell what it was (left the zoom monocular in the truck :roll: ). I think a 2-4x might be ideal for this rifle. I might put the dot scope on the 5.56 carbine and get something else for Thumper.
JCoop

Postby JCoop » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Here is my pig kill. 193.5lbs. Whacked at 120yds with the 250gr factory Hornady round.

JCoop

Postby wildcatter » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:48 pm

JCoop wrote:Here is my pig kill. 193.5lbs. Whacked at 120yds with the 250gr factory Hornady round.

[ http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OGXm5-ZO5ow/SzbYU4UuJZI/AAAAAAAAACY/GPYksKuCpq4/s512/pig01.jpg ]

OK everybody!!! Bacon and eggs in the morning at JC's...

What are the particulars on the Kill. Common!!! We need the dirt..wink
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby JCoop » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:33 am

Partuculars? Well, I am lucky and blessed enough to have been invited to hunt in a very large wilderness area that has been preserved since the late 1800s. It is a humongous space that looks like it did, pretty much, since the 18th century. And this big ass pig was there and I whacked his ass after 2 days of temperatures in the single digits and teens and double digit winds and falling snow and ice and covering way too many miles on foot. And my Thumper took him down in spite of my apprehensions of shooting such a hawg with a new and untested rifle.

He was 120 yds away on the initial shot. I put the Pentax red dot just behind his shoulder and pulled the trigger. He was hit very hard and started flailing all over the place. I've shot pigs at last light before when snow was falling and it sucks trying to track them. So I kept shooting. I whacked him again near the base the spine and grazed him once. I was running and gunning by then. I got to within 15 feet of him, he sort of burrowed down in the snow, and his ears wiggled. So I whacked him in the back of the head with another round. The end. Dragging that fucker out of the woods was a bitch :shock:
JCoop

Postby talonxracer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:51 am

Nice piggy!

That is the one animal i wish we had up here in the mtn's. Occasionally someone will discover a domestic pig that has gone feral, but by the time you hear about it someone has already taken it down.
talonxracer

Return to AR15 Style Rifles