New 450 20" upper questions

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New 450 20" upper questions

Postby dale » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi, the fedex girl dropped off my new 450 upper today!!!!!! :P :P :P
been waiting for awhile, long enough to get a new fixed stock bushmaster lower, and 100 rounds of hornady ammo.
when i took out the bolt carrier there seems to be abrasive lube in the upper where the carrier slides. Is this break-in lube? like camshaft breakin lube for engine building? or should i clean with clp and relube with gun oil? anything else before the maiden voyage? im anxious, any help would be great, by the way this is a great forum. i check it out almost daily.
thanks
Dale
dale

Re: New 450 20" upper questions

Postby MudBug » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 pm

What makes you think it's an abrasive lube?

Chances are it's just the the parkerizing on the bolt carrier + lube. A new upper + new Bolt carrier will sound kinda rough till they break in.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 pm

10x...Clean and Lube, like really, Clean and Lube.. Run on over to the you tube and get some tips if you need them, but the packing lubes MUST be purged by cleaning and then proper Lubing for reliable functioning..Clean and Lube..good luck and have a ball..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 250-3000 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:41 pm

I got my 16" 450B upper Christmas morning. Gritty feel in my charging handle, nothing wiped off but oil, finish feels rough, assume it will smooth itself out. Shoots nice though, ran one box of shells thru it to have brass to reload. Only can shoot 50 yards in the back yard, love seeing the holes without a spotting scope.
250-3000

Postby dale » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:36 pm

thanks for the quick replies...
the junk in the upper feels gritty between the fingers, like rubbing compound, i bought a new bushmaster m4a3 carbine a while back, and it did not have this stuff in it. i will take your advice and clean, clean super clean and lube. i assume the bore will also need similar cleaning. then for some new years fun....
thanks.
Dale
dale

Postby NordicRX8 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:46 pm

dale wrote:thanks for the quick replies...
the junk in the upper feels gritty between the fingers, like rubbing compound, i bought a new bushmaster m4a3 carbine a while back, and it did not have this stuff in it.

I purchased a complete thumper and didn't notice any grit in the usual packing lube/slime in my internals. I did the usual disassembly, de-greasing, inspection and lube of any firearm I purchase. Wonder if any other purchasers of upper assembly noticed this grit. :?:

Enjoy that new big bore... be careful, that poop-eating grin lasts awhile. ;)
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby randyf » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 am

250-3000 wrote:I got my 16" 450B upper Christmas morning. Gritty feel in my charging handle, nothing wiped off but oil, finish feels rough, assume it will smooth itself out.

Mine felt the same way........I oiled it up pretty good and shot a few rounds.......hopefully it will smooth out with use.
randyf

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:48 pm

This is all quite normal and the mudder has it right, the parkerizing and stuff all has a kind of Nap. I received six complete guns and ten uppers just before Christmas and they all have that gritty feel, lube them up and shoot'em, they'll smooth up better than greased lighting. We were shooting out in below zero weather after Christmas and the wheel bearing grease I usually use on the Carrier rails and on the bolt (inside of the carrier) and cam pin, was so stiff the guns were short cycling, this because we used the normal stuff (yes it's what we had at the moment and I knew better than to use it but hey, we were in a hurry for a little group therapy). We returned to the shop, degreased everything and re-lubed with a Full Synthetic bearing grease (note full synthetic oils will pour at 90+ below, whereas 10 weight wont take a nail with a hammer through the side of a can at these tempts and don't bother with the stuff with teflon in it. Go to your auto parts house for these super-lubes. You might try the synthetic really-really heavy gear lube too.. ) and bingo, no more short cycling in -17 below..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby dale » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi-
took out the thumper for the first time, after thorough initial clean and lube. the first two shots caught the empties in the bolt on their way out. the next 40 or so were flawless, except for that strange whack in the shoulder... :lol:
dale

Postby MudBug » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:15 pm

dale wrote:Hi-
took out the thumper for the first time, after thorough initial clean and lube. the first two shots caught the empties in the bolt on their way out. the next 40 or so were flawless, except for that strange whack in the shoulder... :lol:

Dang thing is a hoot, aint it?
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles