Thinking out of the box for next season....

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Thinking out of the box for next season....

Postby bushmeister » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 pm

OK, This may not be the most inexpensive way to do it, but being that our rifles are shooting muzzleloader type bullets essentially, what would it take to make one a muzzleloader without the sabot? and could you do it with lil gun instead of pyrodex? I realize this might be too dangerous, but as my nephew says "just sayin'" :ugeek: In my state the only requirement is loading from the muzzle. I'm guessing that a barrel with a breech plug designed for 209 primers and pyrodex would be required. Futuristic versions could have the gas block eject the old primer, but what would it really take to get something functional? Other concerns might be ramming a copper jacketed bullet all the way down the barrel without a sabot.
bushmeister

Re: Thinking out of the box for next season....

Postby MudBug » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:55 pm

I think CMMG was working on a muzzle loader upper for an ar15.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby bushmeister » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:42 pm

MudBug wrote:I think CMMG was working on a muzzle loader upper for an ar15.

I looked at their site and didn't see anything. It would definitely add to the diversity of the ar platform (it would add about 2 weeks to hunting season if nothing else!) :D
bushmeister

Postby MudBug » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:34 am

I don't think it would be on their site since it's still in dev (if it was them).

I'll search for info, but HERE's something to chew on
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:04 am

I seen a ML upper someplace, Youtube maybe?

Going sabotless has it's points, I'm running a rebarreled 700ML, lot of guys using rebarreled Savages in 45cal.
Al in Mi

Postby bushmeister » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Very cool link! Exactly what I was wondering. I wonder if pyrodex pellets fit in the 450 case? I imagine it would be bad for the gas tube though. Keep em coming.
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Well my dream of autoloading primed cases preloaded with powder, and muzzleloading the bullet have been dashed.... There is a rule that states you may not carry any weapon capable of firing modern ammo during primitive weapon season.... so, I guess it's back to a breech plug. and custom barrel. :x However, there is a provision that concealed carry permit holders (me) can carry a handgun...hmmm. :twisted:
bushmeister

Postby JCoop » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 am

bushmeister wrote:OK, This may not be the most inexpensive way to do it, but being that our rifles are shooting muzzleloader type bullets essentially, what would it take to make one a muzzleloader without the sabot? and could you do it with lil gun instead of pyrodex? I realize this might be too dangerous, but as my nephew says "just sayin'" :ugeek: In my state the only requirement is loading from the muzzle. I'm guessing that a barrel with a breech plug designed for 209 primers and pyrodex would be required. Futuristic versions could have the gas block eject the old primer, but what would it really take to get something functional? Other concerns might be ramming a copper jacketed bullet all the way down the barrel without a sabot.

Ramming copper jacketed bullets down a barrel is already a proven technology with Powerbelt and Blackbelt muzzle loader bullets. I shoot a 348gr JHP sitting front of 150gr of Pyrodex out of my .50 cal CVA and it's a very accurate round. It kicks like holy hell, but it'll blow a hole through a cement truck :D
JCoop

Postby bushmeister » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:25 pm

New thought. If there was a way to limit the bolt movement so that it would only open enough to extract/replace the brass (without bullet)? That might get around the rule about capable of firing modern ammunition. Then maybe primered brass with powder, and a polyethylene disc to hold it all together. Then run the bullet down the muzzle.

edit: after explaining my new brainchild idea to my brother, he immediately asked "well couldn't you just pull the back pin, and throw in a fully loaded round from the breech?" :x :oops: Well, I guess he's right.
bushmeister

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:27 am

I believe Tromix did a Muzzle loader AR IIRC.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles