FTE with new black follower 5-round mag

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

FTE with new black follower 5-round mag

Postby dxdog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 am

Took my 450b out to shoot for the first time this weekend - what a rush! I had the factory 5 round mag with the black follower and also had a blue follower that I got from my bro-in-law. I stuck the blue follower in a 30 round mag I had laying around and took them both out to the range. When using the 5 round mag, I had 3 that failed to extract. I loaded 9 rounds into the other mag (with the blue follower) and shot 5 rounds from it with no issues at all. Then I stuck the 5 rounder back in and shot it once more and had another FTE. Any of you guys had issues like this and know what to look for to get it to work reliably?
I guess I could always try another 5-round mag and go that route, but at $45 a piece I'd just like to get the one I have to work.
dxdog

Re: FTE with new black follower 5-round mag

Postby Colohunter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm

I haven't been able to shoot my 450 yet, but in general if you are having problems extracting it probably has to do with extractor, gas system, maybe buffer. The magazine shouldn't really affect extraction. If you know which empties didn't extract take a look at the case head and see what it looks like, are there swipes or other marks from the extractor?

Also if you have only shot a few rounds from it, have you hand cycled the action? I have read of other people handcycling the action around a hundred times or so to help break in the internal surfaces. I did that with a 6.8 that I built and it worked great right off the bat.
Colohunter

Return to AR15 Style Rifles