Sup guys? Lets have some fun!

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Sup guys? Lets have some fun!

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun May 29, 2011 8:15 pm

I am new here but have a friend that has a 450 and he has talked me into getting one. I live in Idaho and I'm wanting to use it for Mulie and Elk hunting. So.....how about you guys help me build a 400 yard Elk slaying rifle and load. I'm more than willing to resize some .458's so give me what you think would be the best combo!!
Stealthshooter

Re: Sup guys? Lets have some fun!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 30, 2011 2:00 am

Welcome to our electronic campfire. Pull up a stump.
You're definitely gonna want to think about getting a 20".
It's gonna give you about 125 FPS more velocity. I've hunted
Muleys and Elk in Colorado and the shots tend to be longer.
The longer barrel will provide longer burn time for the powder
more time on the lands/rifling resulting in a more complete powder
burn which gives you more energy and less muzzle flash and better
accuracy. I will defer to the pros like Wildcatter, Hoot, Gunnut, and
The rabid reloaders here who have more bench experience on what loads
are better, but I gotta admit, the Hornady factory load blows through
1/4" steel plate pretty good. Check out my link.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4528

Watch both videos and then look at the pictures. I think most would agree that no North American
Candidate for BBQ sauce on the hoof could stand up to a hit like that.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon May 30, 2011 7:11 am

Hello and I have to agree with the 20" barrel. Very nice video's also I'm guessing that was between 80-100 yards. I'm also guessing it would of went through twice that much steel. That's the kind of power I'm looking for. Rohk here on the site is the one that has talked me into the Thumper. I've seen what his has been doing and it's very impressive to say the least. There were a few other calibers that I've looked at but they just didn't seem as fun as this one. There are a few bullets I've been looking at like the 300 grain Hornady SST muzzle loader bullet and the Barnes TTSX's and the Barnes Busters. Like I said it won't bother me to have to resize some if they are worth the effort. It's gunna be a bit before I can get my upper but in the mean time I'd like all the info I can get.
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 30, 2011 8:47 am

Stealthshooter wrote:I am new here but have a friend that has a 450 and he has talked me into getting one. I live in Idaho and I'm wanting to use it for Mulie and Elk hunting. So.....how about you guys help me build a 400 yard Elk slaying rifle and load. I'm more than willing to resize some .458's so give me what you think would be the best combo!!

Now You Talk'en my language! I did 25 +- years as a Professional hunter and I say one can get to within 300yds of anything on the planet. The next thing is to have the right gun with the right load to dispatch the target quickly. I say quickly, because in the Mountains, wherein a kill shot can kill the animal, but if it runs 15 minutes before in keels over, it can take two days to get to it.

I most certainly have some strong thoughts on this subject, but alas, I wont be able to expound on them until latter in the week. But for now, think about 350grs being the end of the road, bullets more heavy than this put you into diminished returns, this is true for the other big-bore AR's as well.

Where in ID are you at. I have kids in Rexburg, that all sport 450's..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon May 30, 2011 10:27 am

wildcatter wrote: But for now, think about 350grs being the end of the road, bullets more heavy than this put you into diminished returns, this is true for the other big-bore AR's as well.

Where in ID are you at. I have kids in Rexburg, that all sport 450's..

The bullets I have been looking at are in the 300 to 325 grain range.

I live in Soda Springs not too far from Rexburg.
Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Hello and I have to agree with the 20" barrel. Very nice video's also I'm guessing that was between 80-100 yards. I'm also guessing it would of went through twice that much steel. That's the kind of power I'm looking for. Rohk here on the site is the one that has talked me into the Thumper. I've seen what his has been doing and it's very impressive to say the least. There were a few other calibers that I've looked at but they just didn't seem as fun as this one. There are a few bullets I've been looking at like the 300 grain Hornady SST muzzle loader bullet and the Barnes TTSX's and the Barnes Busters. Like I said it won't bother me to have to resize some if they are worth the effort. It's gunna be a bit before I can get my upper but in the mean time I'd like all the info I can get.

Milk jugs were 25-30 yards, steel plate was approx 70-75 yards, stepped off.
I like the Barnes Busters. But I'm not going to tinker with those until I can get some in 185-250 Grain. If a 170-180 grain in a .284 or .308 can stop Elk and Muleys, why couldn't a 185-250 grain .452 Barnes do equally well or even better? I am one of those here who think lighter faster bullets are a fascinating subject for the 450 Bushmaster. But Texas Deer are scrappie and smaller than those corn fed Midwestern Brutes. I'll save the 300-325 grain bombs for Texas HAWGS and for keeping the Cave Trolls at bay.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 30, 2011 2:15 pm

More on the Barnes bullets
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=672
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon May 30, 2011 3:33 pm

The reason I have been looking at the 300-325 grain bullets is because of their BC's they are quite a bit better than the lighter bullets and would lend themselves better to a 400 yard shot.
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Mon May 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:The reason I have been looking at the 300-325 grain bullets is because of their BC's they are quite a bit better than the lighter bullets and would lend themselves better to a 400 yard shot.

Be mindful of the limitations that an AR15 magazine puts on a cartridge's COL. Heavy bullets tend to be long. Add a high BC they tend to be longer. What doesn't take up magazine space, takes up vital powder capacity.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon May 30, 2011 4:29 pm

So you think something like a 300 grain .458 Barnes Original sized down to .452 would be too long? If I can get a 300 grain bullet to around 2100fps I'd be more than happy.
Stealthshooter

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles