Detent Spring - ACE Skeleton Buttstock Install

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Detent Spring - ACE Skeleton Buttstock Install

Postby ebusa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:03 am

Hi Guys,

I replaced my A2 Stock with an Ace Skeleton Stock last night. Had to use soapy water and alot of twisting and force to get that darn foam pad on. I made sure NOT to loose that little spring. I'm pretty sure the spring went in straight, but I'm wondering what that spring is for? Is it to not allow the rear take down pin to fall out?

I just want to make sure I installed everything ok and want to know the purpose of the spring?

Here's a pic of the spring I'm talking about that I found on the net.

ebusa

Re: Detent Spring - ACE Skeleton Buttstock Install

Postby MudBug » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 am

That spring pushes a small detent pin that keeps the rear take down pin from falling out.

So not only should there be a spring in there, but there should be a small pin in front of it.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thebrassnuckles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 pm

i have the same stock, man that pad was a pain, dont do a test fit like i did. haha i had to take the thing off. talk about a hassle.
thebrassnuckles

Postby ebusa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:35 pm

I never saw a Pin, just a spring! hope that pin is still in there! :shock:

I hear you about the butt pad! I actually put it on upside down!!! had to take it back off and rotate it with the thicker end at the top! :D
--Evan
ebusa

Postby MudBug » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Watch this video at about 4:45 LINK
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby ebusa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks for the vid! I guess I'll just push out the rear take down pin and see stays in the reciever. If it falls out I'll know why.
--Evan
ebusa

Postby MudBug » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

ebusa wrote:Thanks for the vid! I guess I'll just push out the rear take down pin and see stays in the reciever. If it falls out I'll know why.

Not necessarily, the spring might hold it in place without the detent pin.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby ebusa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:16 pm

well...I'm pretty sure the detent didn't fall out, I was being extra careful watching the spring so I should be okay. Would hate to do it all over again..would have to cut off the foam. haha
--Evan
ebusa

Postby thatguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:06 pm

ebusa wrote:well...I'm pretty sure the detent didn't fall out, I was being extra careful watching the spring so I should be okay. Would hate to do it all over again..would have to cut off the foam. haha

When I had my stock off to 'retune' the recoil spring the detent did NOT come out - and I had it on/off about a dozen times

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby thebrassnuckles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:21 pm

ebusa wrote:I never saw a Pin, just a spring! hope that pin is still in there! :shock:

I hear you about the butt pad! I actually put it on upside down!!! had to take it back off and rotate it with the thicker end at the top! :D

THERE IS A THICKER PART????? :shock:
thebrassnuckles

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles