45 Professional

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 45 Professional

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:06 pm

What about something along these lines using .284 brass triimmed a little longer. This is for .45acp but you get the drift.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=2610061&postcount=8

RCBS sells a die to produce .45 ACP shotshells that will cycle. Designed by E. C. (Ed) Harris, this die reduces shortened .308 Winchester cases (the .308 and .30-06 are indentical to the .45 ACP at the head.) The finished shell looks like a ball round -- with the "ball" being a reduced and curved forward section of the shell itself.

I've made a few of these up -- a lot of work!! -- and they function just fine.

Shotshells will not damage your barrel -- but may lead it if you use too many. My solution to leading is to remove the barrel, plug the breech with a vaccuum line cap (from auto parts stores) and fill the barrel with a 50-50 mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Pour the lead scum that forms down the drain, dry and lube as normal afterwards.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby owen8 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am

The link below is to a good article about the RCBS .45 ACP shotshell die (and other shotshell production methods). The third picture in the article shows a pair of .45 ACP shotshells. The alloy one is a commercial CCI shotshell and I assume that the brass one is the author's handiwork.

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature1001.html
owen8

Postby owen8 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 am

Speer say that their shotshell capsules are "Not for use in firearms having ported recoil compensators". I wonder if the plastic capsule or the shot causes a problem? Also, would the plastic mebrane, in the front of the RCBS-type shotshell, or the shot itself cause any problems with an AR-style rifle barrel's gas-port or compensator?
owen8

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 am

[quote="2zero6"]What about something along these lines using .284 brass triimmed a little longer. This is for .45acp but you get the drift.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=2610061&postcount=8

[quote]

This is actually a good idea and you'd prolly not have to cut the 284 brass at all, just use the whole thing, with some kind of card over the shot column and a heavy roll crimp over the card, but again, for my taste, at this point and I sure can be talked out of it, but we'd need some kind of brake the stops or great reduces, the rotation of the shot column, this is the centrifugal force thing.

I like this whole line of thought, on my range lab I Have Gobs of Red Squirrels (for you guys that don't have them, they are very small, very aggressive and very destructive, to home and Shops) and gobs of natural squirrel food. The Reds keep the bigger squirrels from coming into the area and the Reds don't have enough meat on them to amount to much more than a half bite and I love Squirrel and Dumplings, made from the Much Bigger, Black, Gray, and Fox squirrels, get my drift ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 am

I had a TC pistol that shot 44mag/shot capsules. I had done quite a bit of load devolopment using the TC shot capsules and ended up with a combo that would take ruffed grouse cleanly at 15 yards (max). The TC pistol had a "shredder tube" on the end to break up the plastic capsule and stop the spinning. The case was not crimped into the capsule. The crimp caused the plastic capsule to rupture at the crimp and 1/2 the shot charge came out as a slug.

You are going to have to have a gas check on the base of the capsule because of the gas port. Also, the gas check is going to have to be taller than conventional so the gas can not come around the check as the column pass over the gas port.

I would rather see a single shot pistol mounted underneath the barrel -- like a grenade laucher! How about a mount for the Taurus Judge!!!
Siringo

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Siringo wrote:I would rather see a single shot pistol mounted underneath the barrel -- like a grenade laucher! How about a mount for the Taurus Judge!!!

That would be way cool but our friends @ the ATF would define it as an SBR due to using the AR shoulder stock while firing the Judge.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Siringo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:14 pm

AHHH True. The 45-70 used to be loaded with a thin wood bullet filled with bird shot to supplement meals. Essentially at 49 gauge.
Siringo

Postby gunnut » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm thinking along the line of a nylon sabot cylinder ".452" split down the lenght "maybe 1". Nylon should be just thin and strong enough. Split down the lenght would allow it spin apart when it leaves the barrel. one end would be a round nose for feeding and the other flat for a gas check.
gunnut

Postby bushmeister » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Image Subscribed.
bushmeister

Postby gunnut » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 am

Check this out! More peices to the puzzel. http://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo08aug.htm
gunnut

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles