45 Professional

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

45 Professional

Postby finnlndr » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi to forum from new member. I was wondering if anyone else is shooting the 45 pro. Mine is a long barrel and have enjoyed it for many years. (I believe it is prototype #2) In any event, would like to discuss loadings, and other 45Pro stuff.
Thanx, Rodney
finnlndr

Re: 45 Professional

Postby thatguy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Sit back.. relax... Wildcatter will be along shortly and he may know 'a little' about the 45 Professional LOL

Ill let him fill you in on his knowledge..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:44 pm

thatguy wrote:Sit back.. relax... Wildcatter will be along shortly and he may know 'a little' about the 45 Professional LOL

Ill let him fill you in on his knowledge..

Brian

Thanks Bri,

Yup, Welcome Finnlndr to the board.. You've got to be a Yooper, with a handle like that? Us Flatlanders always hold you guys, up in-duh-UP-aey, in high esteem or is it Jealousy, for living in God's Country. But then again here in the Thumb, out in the middle of Deer-Central-Station, with a herd that is so big the Insurance Companies are threatening to sue over the deer/car accident situation, well, it's dog-gone good living here too. We nailed four Deer off the Back Porch, this season..

Ok, guys, this Gent has been around the Horn for a long time now, much longer than the 50/458 guys, so I'll bet we're going to be able to learn as much as we teach..

For the Record and because you are new here, I am Tim LeGendre, A.K.A. as Wildcatter or as GunNut calls me "catter" or many refer to me as wc, all this fun makes it easier..

Now, for the 45 Pro.. Pm me who you are and I'd proally remember you and can verify the #2 status or if you bought it from someone and have his name, I could verify the status that way.. But, If you are my Little Medical-Doc Buddy from that College town area, then I don't need your name at all..

Other than that, how can I be of service, sir. This exchange should be pretty good for these High-End Gun Hacks and Newbies we have lurking here. So, I suggest you ask all manor of questions, just not all at the same time, I'll then try to help, and in this way (the not all at once thing), it will give a chance for these Gentlemen to chime in or ask their probing questions, and believe me Finnlndr, the up here these guys are not like the Shooter-Trash on the other boards, they are a Wonderful, Highly-Respectful Lot. The exchange, with the participants, will be instructive and informative to all of us and allow us to examine the History, Art, and Science.. We have already done much of this, to date, but the repeats will be good and further questions from the guys here, will, be forthcoming..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby finnlndr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 am

It is nice to be among such distinguished gentlemen, as anyone who understands the uniqueness and savage power of 230 hardball flying at 2900 fps, must appreciate the out-of-the-box thinking of Tim. I don't even remember how long ago it was (14 yrs?)when we were working up loads for the pro and at one point, there didn't seem to be any limits. I do remember shooting a 45cal hole right in the numbers of my crony :o just after the last shot flew past 3000fps. Yery few people believed it and many said it was impossible. Those were difficult times, with skepticism abound. But Tim persued and endured for a concept he knew was already proven. I have the upmost respect for the intelligence, character, and honor this man upholds. Liability issues prohibit me from discussing some idea's, loads and bullet seating ideas we delt with at the time, but Tim would agree some were so funny we laughed until we almost cried. I did find out we could get both red and blue Locktite in one gallon containers. Tim, my hat is off to you, old friend. Congratulations. I can't wait to hear about the EMP full auto ray gun with 1moa out to 37 miles. ;)

Now, I have cycled 4600 to 4800 rounds thru my thumper, and have used 296 exclusively. My question is this new fangled AA powder I have been hearing about. Please advise. I am real old and old school, so anything developed after 1990 is brand new. I am interested in this powder for both my 45 WinMag carbine and the big black beast.

Thanks for a warm welcome,

Rodney
finnlndr

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:50 am

Yup, as it turns out the finnlndr is an old friend and he does indeed have 45pro #2, I having #1. He is my oldest customer and quickly became a grand 'ol friend and he is no Chechako and is a real pro around the shop. Just one example and I hope he shares his other accomplishments, he converted and de-bugged and automag-3 to shoot the 5.7 Johnson, which for you young guys is the for runner to the of FN's 5.7x28, shooting in their P90. And allot of us gun hacks were shooting that round in the 60's, so FN's round seems kinda new, it isn't. In those days we chambered it in the M1 Carbine, it was discontinued, after allot more than 10,000 were built, because the bolts were breaking all to frequently. 20 years later I engineered out the problem and had successful runs (6 figures+) in the carbine chambered for the 45 win-mag and 50AE, among many others fine cartridges. Now, all this was not without teething pains and I released some that ended up not functioning to well, but we fixed all that came back (which were not many) and ended up making a very reliable system, and I say we, as finnlndr was right in the middle of it all. He too had some teething problems with his pistol, but ironed them out and I hope he shares with us what he did to over come his problems.

The finnlndr and I lost track of each other and I've not seen him in more than ten years. So, it is with great glee, that I run back into him here.

Now, you know the reasons he and I and you, will talk in guarded prose (the tort, the tort, the tork), but if you read between the lines and join in the discussion, we'll all get a glimpse into the Under-World of the Dark Art of Gun-Hacking (and just so you know, finnlndr, many here are High-Priest, in that Religion). Just remember, I usually state I've blown up more guns than most men have owned, so much of what we will talk about was learned in blood, literally, and extreme caution is necessary if you try to duplicate anything we will talk about (in this posting area or any other area on this board), do so, AT-YOUR-OWN-RISK!!!..T
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby finnlndr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:16 am

Ok.....Here is a question that might interest someone. Who has gone bird hunting with a 45 cal shot cap loaded to the gills in their Pro or 450? I will tell you it is an interesting way to hunt.

Anyone?
finnlndr

Postby gunnut » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:45 pm

I looked into the shot caps and found them too fragile to chamber from a magazine. Any insight as to how to make them work would be helpful.
gunnut

Postby finnlndr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Belt feed might be a idea, but I have tried clear POR-15 to strengthen the plastic, tried to make caps with copper sides and a blow off top, but what we need is a injection mold guy with just the correct mixture of plastics.
I have had success with old colt mags, but you are very correct. It is not reliable. And can make a mess. I know WC will come up with an idea. :idea:

But by single loading it does become fun. I think the birds die due to a heart attack
finnlndr

Postby gunnut » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Huumm, I'll have to look into the injection molding thing. That might just work! The molds are already out there. Just need to find the right material. Something hard enough to withstand chambering from a mag. But, not britel.
A belt fed 450B! Now that I have Got to shoot!
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:45 pm

GN has got a polymer guy in the wings. I'd love to have this work too.

Ok, brain storming time...

The rifling causes the shot column to experience syntrificle forces and thus to WAY open the groups prematurely. Now this is why I use a rifled choke tube on Pats, in MI Forrest with double canopy. These Partridges love to get up, six feet away and by the time they are ten feet away, they are upside down and diving around a tree and thus out of sight, hence...rifling really opens up the groups and increases hit probability. But, the rifling in our use might be a problem..

So, how about a shot cup that holds two pounds of shot or so, sufficiently tough enough to take a crimp and speed down the barrel at say 1800fps++ (I'd like to target 2000fps), it wont take much powder to get it going that fast, so we'd have plenty enough room for a long shot cup. With a longish muzzle brake (say a couple of inches) with relatively straight rifling, using a twist that ATF can live with. Now with a set of knives in the Brake, that are there to slice open the GN shot cap-cup-thingie..

Or we could always use a std 410 shot cup with some kind of crimp-able cover, that aids semi-auto feeding, again a special Muzzle Brake and... But we might get a little melting of the cup, but hey, that's what they made cleaning equipment for and a 2000fps, semi-auto-magazine fed AR, that shoots copius amounts of Raget size shot, HEY I'm liking the sounds of this..

Next shooter to the line..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles