Ready to reload 230gr rn fmj's

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Ready to reload 230gr rn fmj's

Postby dale » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I've got some dies coming after a year and a half of procrastinating(thanks jeepejeep!!) from natchez, along with some hornady 230 gr rn fmj's. I have some lilgun already. I just have a couple quick questions. What primers are you guys having good luck with, coal for the rn's? I'll be using once fired hornady brass, and iirc this brass shrinks, instead of getting longer, correct? With my other calibers (223,270,30-06) i use lee case length guages and hand trim, but hopefully this shouldn't be necesary. I guess i'll measure and see.
Thanks in advance
dale
dale

Re: Ready to reload 230gr rn fmj's

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:14 pm

I'm starting off with some of each of Federal #205s, CCI small rifle, and Winchester Small Rifle...I have a few "K" of each. But I am partial to CCI. Ain't JeepJeep the greatest!? Got my dies enroute too! I already called Midway to cancel that backorder. Natchez has already invoiced my bank account so I'm pretty sure that means the dies are on the dock if not already been shipped. First thing on my agenda is to get revenge :twisted: on that 3/8" steel plate with some FMJs.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:58 am

dale wrote:I've got some dies coming after a year and a half of procrastinating(thanks jeepejeep!!) from natchez, along with some hornady 230 gr rn fmj's. I have some lilgun already. I just have a couple quick questions. What primers are you guys having good luck with, coal for the rn's? I'll be using once fired hornady brass, and iirc this brass shrinks, instead of getting longer, correct? With my other calibers (223,270,30-06) i use lee case length guages and hand trim, but hopefully this shouldn't be necesary. I guess i'll measure and see.
Thanks in advance
dale

I've tried CCI BR4, WSR, 205M and Rem 7 1/2

For Lil Gun, it was a dead tie between Rem 7 1/2 and WSR. The 205M was a close second. The BR4 did not light it off as well as the others, but was a perfect match when used with the faster AA2400 and lighter bullets.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby randyf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Let us know how they shoot.
I have tried a few different .451 diameter bullets .............and just couldn't get any to shoot accurate enough for me.
randyf

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm

dale wrote:I've got some dies coming after a year and a half of procrastinating(thanks jeepejeep!!) from natchez, along with some hornady 230 gr rn fmj's. I have some lilgun already. I just have a couple quick questions. What primers are you guys having good luck with, coal for the rn's? I'll be using once fired hornady brass, and iirc this brass shrinks, instead of getting longer, correct? With my other calibers (223,270,30-06) i use lee case length guages and hand trim, but hopefully this shouldn't be necesary. I guess i'll measure and see.
Thanks in advance
dale

My dies should be here today! Mags from Stealthshooter, my Lee SCD from Hoot, and my 450 dies from Natchez! All in one week!
Come on Bushmaster!! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!! :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Gunnut's done some great work with the 230 gr fmj's. fast and accurate. You might want to shoot him a pm for some starting points. ;)
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:38 am

Based upon someone's report, I bought a bag of Magtech 230 fmj and loaded some up last year. I believe I paid $.20 each. They ran just fine, but nowhere close to the accuracy I got from the FTX's. I thought I did a range report on them, but I couldn't find it this morning. For $.07 more each, the 225 FTX ran circles around them. Had I put more time into trying different loads, I probably could have found a more accurate load for them. I can rummage through my range notebook this afternoon and see what the particulars were on my load, but IIRC, the load was similar to the 225s.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:48 am

bushmeister wrote:Gunnut's done some great work with the 230 gr fmj's. fast and accurate. You might want to shoot him a pm for some starting points. ;)

Speaking of Gunnut, where IS Gunnut? I haven't seen much of him posting around here lately.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:50 am

Hoot wrote:Based upon someone's report, I bought a bag of Magtech 230 fmj and loaded some up last year. I believe I paid $.20 each. They ran just fine, but nowhere close to the accuracy I got from the FTX's. I thought I did a range report on them, but I couldn't find it this morning. For $.07 more each, the 225 FTX ran circles around them. Had I put more time into trying different loads, I probably could have found a more accurate load for them. I can rummage through my range notebook this afternoon and see what the particulars were on my load, but IIRC, the load was similar to the 225s.

Hoot

I'm gonna try some Rainier 230fmjs this weekend. Have you tried those lead safe bullets by Rainier?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 am

Hoot wrote:Based upon someone's report, I bought a bag of Magtech 230 fmj and loaded some up last year. I believe I paid $.20 each. They ran just fine, but nowhere close to the accuracy I got from the FTX's. I thought I did a range report on them, but I couldn't find it this morning. For $.07 more each, the 225 FTX ran circles around them. Had I put more time into trying different loads, I probably could have found a more accurate load for them. I can rummage through my range notebook this afternoon and see what the particulars were on my load, but IIRC, the load was similar to the 225s.

Hoot

I coded in my range notes to my target image I use to print targets. Best load was (no surprise) 38 gr Lil Gun. 2.05 COL Taper crimp to .475 Rem 7 1/2 Primer

The other loads were all over the place averaging 3 MOA, but I was not accuracy testing across many charge weights. I was experimenting at the time with different crimping techniques across three charge weights. Not sure why these flew so well and not the 36 or 37gr loads. Must be a sweet spot, or I was having a rough range day on July 5th 2010

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles