Ready to reload 230gr rn fmj's

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Ready to reload 230gr rn fmj's

Postby redactor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:27 pm

Is 45 gr of Lil Gun still the 230gr FMJ load, or has that been deemed unsafe?
redactor

Postby gunnut » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:18 pm

I've been shooting it for over a year now. Several hundred rounds with no ill effects.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:21 pm

redactor wrote:Is 45 gr of Lil Gun still the 230gr FMJ load, or has that been deemed unsafe?

I would disagree. No two chambers are the same.

I was seeing excessive pressure signs starting at 41gr and a 225gr FTX. Possibly, you could get away with that if you shot plated the bullets first with Tungsten Di Sulfide or Molybdenum Di Sulfide. The first being more slipperier than the second. You certainly don't want to start right off at 45. It might prove to be a short, catastrophic range visit. Work your way up from 40, in 1/2 grain steps, examining the case heads for imprinting and the diameter just above the web every round. I'm no old lady where load development goes, but trust me when I advise against that load without workup.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:55 pm

From the reloading forums, here are some threads that bear heavily on questions and points raised in this thread:

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:36 am

Hoot wrote:
redactor wrote:Is 45 gr of Lil Gun still the 230gr FMJ load, or has that been deemed unsafe?

I would disagree. No two chambers are the same.

I was seeing excessive pressure signs starting at 41gr and a 225gr FTX. Possibly, you could get away with that if you shot plated the bullets first with Tungsten Di Sulfide or Molybdenum Di Sulfide. The first being more slipperier than the second. You certainly don't want to start right off at 45. It might prove to be a short, catastrophic range visit. Work your way up from 40, in 1/2 grain steps, examining the case heads for imprinting and the diameter just above the web every round. I'm no old lady where load development goes, but trust me when I advise against that load without workup.

Hoot

John,

Of course you're right. My question is.. did you work further up than 41gr. I'm finding something that might be going on with the new crop of primers and how they ignite the powder. With some powders, I will see pressure signs and then the signs, go away, as I work-up in charge weights. When graphing them on the computer, using strain gauges, those same loads will spike and then backs-off, as the powder charge increases. The high-end pressures return, with all the signs as before, but with much increased powder charges. Meaning, after the initial spike, the curve settles down into the normal range, to return at some later point. Go figure. I'm thinking some of these primers are causing the powders to react in ways, here-to-fore, not seen. The war has put production strains on all of our products and I'm thinking, the primers have taken a QA hit, but this hypothesis is not a fact yet, that is for me, anyways???

For you guys, this is not a license to just Willy-Nilly go for broke and increase your loads, this has got to be done methodically and carefully or the Pressure Gods are going to wreck your guns or worst..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles