Making a better hunting rifle

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Making a better hunting rifle

Postby bushmeister » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Now that I have had a little time to hunt with and shoot my 450 carbine, the time has come to turn the black rifle into an ideal hunting rifle, while not breaking the bank (sub $500 investment). This thread will document some of the modifications I have made to improve its "huntability". First my likes and dislikes of the gun as it comes, as they relate to my types of hunting.

What I like
1. The cartridge. It kills stuff..dead....right there... right now. Tracking skills not required
2. Very accurate
3. Light, manueverable, easy to carry, quick to shoulder.
4. Short, fits in blinds, well balanced.
5. Excellent recovery for follow up shots (if ever needed)
6. Weatherability, I hunted in the rain for 2 days, and never saw any ill effects.

What I don't like
1. Solid black. People see me coming, and think I'm coming to take over, not hunt. Needs some camo.
2. That free floating aluminum hanguard is cold, and noisy
3. The play between the upper and lower is another source of noise.
4. The trigger, although not terrible, could be improved for hunting.
5. Needs a little more comfortable sling.

So it begins:
My first addition was a Leupold Ultimateslam scope. for around $250, it seemed to fit the bill, and the multiple reticle might be helpful on long range shots.
http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/ultimatesl ... csheet.pdf After my rain hunting event, I determined some butler creek flip up scope covers would finish it of nicely. I have these on my 7 rem mag and love them ($15). http://www.butler-creek.com/products/sc ... _open.html
Last edited by bushmeister on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushmeister

Re: Making a better hunting rifle

Postby bushmeister » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 pm

Now to address some of the less favorable to hunting first the all black part.... I picked up a camo stock and pistol grip from bushmaster ($75). I could have gotten the furniture set for $100, but they didn't have a free floating handguard option. More to come on this one...
Attachments
camostock.jpg
camostock.jpg (76.62 KiB) Viewed 11776 times
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:41 pm

To adress #3 is easy. Like $6 easy. Install the Accu-wedge from BM.. No more play or noise. Super easy to install, just put it where it's supposed to go. I was shocked at how small it actually is, but it does add a bit of pressure to the rear takedown pin. Definitely more "hunter friendly, than everyday shooter friendly".
Attachments
accuwedge.jpg
accuwedge.jpg (64.08 KiB) Viewed 11776 times
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:57 pm

bushmeister wrote:Now that I have had a little time to hunt with and shoot my 450 carbine, the time has come to turn the black rifle into an ideal hunting rifle, while not breaking the bank (sub $500 investment). This thread will document some of the modifications I have made to improve its "huntability". First my likes and dislikes of the gun as it comes, as they relate to my types of hunting.

What I like
1. The cartridge. It kills stuff..dead....right there... right now. Tracking skills not required
2. Very accurate
3. Light, manueverable, easy to carry, quick to shoulder.
4. Short, fits in blinds, well balanced.
5. Excellent recovery for follow up shots (if ever needed)
6. Weatherability, I hunted in the rain for 2 days, and never saw any ill effects.

What I don't like
1. Solid black. People see me coming, and think I'm coming to take over, not hunt. Needs some camo.
2. That free floating aluminum hanguard is cold, and noisy
3. The play between the upper and lower is another source of noise.
4. The trigger, although not terrible, could be improved for hunting.
5. Needs a little more comfortable sling.

So it begins:
My first addition was a Leupold Ultimateslam scope. for around $250, it seemed to fit the bill, and the multiple reticle might be helpful on long range shots.
http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/ultimatesl ... csheet.pdf After my rain hunting event, I determined some butler creek flip up scope covers would finish it of nicely. I have these on my 7 rem mag and love them ($15). http://www.butler-creek.com/products/sc ... _open.html

OK, so whats the pro'lem, seems like all the negs are over on the poz side now and you look like you gots the pro'lem well in-hand, just git out a file or a rock from the pile you'awl gots out back and hack away on the tree-gar or get one of those drop-ins and a piece of fancy rope for the Slingy-thing..wink and Bingo, the pree-fect smoke-pole..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:06 am

I can offer a couple suggestions..

#1 - They sell a stretchy camo tape (NOT the same as you see at walmart - I have only seen it in the Sportsmans Guide catalog) that you could use there..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/a ... x?a=515030

#2 - the handguard can easily be replaced OR can be wrapped in #1

#4 - the standard AR triggers are pretty crappy - I replaced my trigger with a RRA 2 stage match trigger (~$120) and it makes a HUGE difference.. there is a post on here about triggers and someone will rework your trigger for a reasonable price.

#5 - I made a 3 pt point sling (plans are available on the net @ ar15.com) and it is very comfortable. I converted it into a single point for this year and I have mixed feelings so far.. I would suggest an AR 'tactical' type sling that will keep the gun at the ready across the front of your body, but will move out of your way with a simple swipe.

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby bushmeister » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:51 pm

FWIW, I'm really not convinced camo is a big deal to most critters (birds and humans excluded). In fact, I've hunted 15 years with a solid black browning a-bolt composite stalker, and never received a single comment about it being a black rifle, heck even Zumbo liked it. :lol:. But if it makes a few more folks at camp more at ease, then I'm all for it (and I don't think it hurts either). Now back to the mods... I picked up a quake claw sling ($20). I like these because they are comfortable and quiet, and they don't slip on your shoulder. As most of my hunting involves walking into a stand or blind in the dark, I typically shoulder. I will eventually go for a 3 or single point for drives and stalking, so post up what you like in those regards. I also sent my trigger off to Bill Springfield for a 3lb job ($50). I've attached photos of what I sent and what came back. As you can see, there are all new springs, and the hammer looks quite different. It feels much cleaner now, although I haven't fired a round with it yet.
Attachments
sling.jpg
sling.jpg (107.81 KiB) Viewed 11687 times
trigger sent.jpg
trigger sent.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 11687 times
trigger received.jpg
trigger received.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 11687 times
bushmeister

Postby CIA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 am

Well, another new guy coming on board. This new Bushmaster 450 seems to have brought alot of people together for many different reasons. Just about anything we do is new to the game. I bought a 20" upper and put it on a Stage lower. I got the Stage because it was a left-handed upper. Now I have a Rock River trigger installed. So, with one platform I have totally different guns. Practice is great with the 556 but there is no comparison with the 450B Thumper for pleasure and release.
CIA

Postby justin1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:02 am

I really appreciated the style of hunting rifle, how I wish i could own something like that. :(
justin1

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm

justin1 wrote:I really appreciated the style of hunting rifle, how I wish i could own something like that. :(

Welcome aboard! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles