New to this

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New to this

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:49 am

First off, hey guys. Pretty cool site here. Right in line with what has become my point of view.

Anyways, after months of deliberation, and with Remington's cat finally out of the bag- I took the plunge and went with the 450. Seems as though theres a heck of a lot more viable reasons to go this route than the other big bores, but I digresss.

So I find this barrel/bolt combo from MGI and it arrives yesterday. Put it in a DPMS low pro upper-Fit good, Took the firing pin out and cycled thru 4 or 5 8 round mags- no hangups. All great until I inspect the crown area. To say its a pee poor attempt is being nice. the threads are buggered, and the muzzle is visibly uneven. What a kick in the guts.

Has anyone else messed with this company? Are there any other viable sources for these barrels? Should I infer that the rest of the machine work on this barrel is substandard IE, chamber, throat bolt? Or just shoot it. Im trying to wait and calm down a bit before I call them- cooler heads always prevail.

Just wondering what you guys think?
Mike

Re: New to this

Postby Colohunter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 am

I would imagine that the gun is still safe to shoot, though if the machining wasn't the best quality that could certainly affect the accuracy potential. I know the Bushmaster uppers and rifles are getting a lot of praise here for being very accurate. I would give them a call and find out if they would do anything about it, or if they tell you that is acceptable to them.
Colohunter

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:35 pm

what twist are they using?
Al in Mi

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 pm

While this is far from my first ar build, Ive never had a barrel that was stamped as follows.

B MP .450 BUSHMASTER 1/24 Any chance this is a bushmaster second?

Im certain it will function, probly quite well, Im just leery of pushing it hard. I checked the "crown"- it seems to be concentric and square upon inspection- its just damn ugly. Ill shoot some factory stuff tommorrow and see what it does.

Any one else muzzle have rough machine marks on it from the factory?
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Nevermind- its a bushmaster.

man this is nerve wracking.

So......any thoughts on reloading dies? CH4 or Hornady?

What powder do you guys recommend?

Ill be back tommorow with more questions- good night.
Mike

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:23 am

so MGI is selling BM barrels?

I'm hoping with Remmy jumping on board, RCBS will jump on board and die sets will fall a couple of catagories price wise.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 am

Colohunter wrote:I would imagine that the gun is still safe to shoot, though if the machining wasn't the best quality that could certainly affect the accuracy potential. I know the Bushmaster uppers and rifles are getting a lot of praise here for being very accurate. I would give them a call and find out if they would do anything about it, or if they tell you that is acceptable to them.

10X Call them before you shoot it..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Alrighty. Talked to them. Got a little smoke blown up my keister, but I was reassured by two people that if its not a performer, theyll make it right.

So.......what to start stocking up on??
Mike

Postby bushmeister » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Mike wrote:I was reassured by two people that if its not a performer, theyll make it right.

Good to know they are standing behind it.

Mike wrote:So.......what to start stocking up on??

Targets, ammo, and a digital camera to share the results with us! ;)
bushmeister

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:07 am

Thats good news as I have all that stuff.

Im really trying to figure out if I need to buy new powders, and what I need to get if I do. I havent really been a pistol guy, so Im lacking in bullets, but I do have lots of stuff for the rest of my rifles- 17 hornet~375 rem ultra mag and lots of obscure stuff in between. Fireballs, jets, weatherbys, mags, AI's and the like.

I actually have 274 win dies, and 45 ACP dies that I might try and load up a couple dummies to compare to factory dimensions. I hate spending 70 bucks on plain vanilla hornady "custom dies". The CH4 dies arent much more than the Hornady's, but whether they are worth it, I havent heard yet.

I guess its just weird having a round thats been out as long as this one has, that has so little published data for so few options.
Mike

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles