Spring and Buffer

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Spring and Buffer

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Larrys1911 wrote:Thanks Sheepdawg,

I really meant nothing at all by it.

Hoot...

HOLY CRAP how did the Mod11 Get by me???? Ill be checking that out soon

Is the accuracy the of the 11 the normal Savage tack driving they are famous for lately?

Honestly I hadnt thought of letting him use a stripped M4 with heavy bullets.... That would be really cheap for me......
Here you guys go again..... I gotta buy another new toy....For my SON of course....Yea yea thats it

that Savage sounds SWEET gotta check it out and since Ive been doing my own smithing for years changing a barrel dont bother me a bit.... Sounds like it changes out kinda like an AR

Larry

To tell you the truth, I've never shot a Model 11. I'm more of a Model 12 guy. The Savage short actions come in the models 10, 11 and 12, with the 12 IMHO being the nicest. They are either Blued or Stainless and are more often the receiver that benchrest and varmint variants are built on. The Model 10 IIRC, is like a 12 but has a matte finish and the 11 is kind of the more economical, sporting profiled barrel of the three, with a low cost blue or matte finish. All three can come with an Accutrigger which is nothing short of sweet for an off the shelf gun. The most economical 11s come without the Accutrigger, but their triggers are still nice for the cost and can be improved upon with some stoning. There is also a model 12 with an extra light Accutrigger as both of mine are. One stainless and one blued. The barrels fit all of the three receivers but there is a variation there also. They come in what is referred to as small and large shank. The more common is the small shank again as both of mine are. They're good for the calibers I mentioned in my first post, though I forgot to mention the .204 Ruger and .338 Federal. The large shank is heavier duty and the magnum calibers like 7mm WSM, .300 WSM and .338 WSM utilize the large shank. Also the Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter model sports a large shank for greater stability when making a true benchrest hotrod rig. So, you have to examine what price range you are interested in. The 12s cost a little more, but still don't break the bank. The 10s are popular for building up tactical 20" heavy barrel rifles and the 11s are mostly hunting rifles. All of them shoot better for the buck IMHO than any comparably priced gun. My stainless 12 is mated to a fluted .223 barrel and its a single hole 100 yard gun. It's so precise, that I don't like to do barrel swaps on it though I could. My blued 12 is the jack of all trades. I have .22-250 barrel that is also a single holer with certain bullets. My .260 Remington barrel shoots a heavier, more long range intended round. Keep in mind that whenever you change out a barrel, you have to sight the scope back in, so changing calibers is not something I do just because I'm in the mood. It's generally when I'm going after a specific animal and I get it tweaked in and leave it on until I plan a trip to hunt something else. For groundhogs, prairie dogs, ground squirrels, I'll usually pack the .223 for out to 200 yards and the .22-250 for longer shots. If I'm going where it's windy, I'll take the .260 as it bucks the wind better. It's also great for pronghorns. The .308 is strictly deer out in open country, but the .260 doesn't give up much if any to it. I have dies and brass for the .358, but not having gone for dangerous game, I never bought the barrel for it. The possibilities are endless, much like black rifles and they have just a rabid a following. The main hangout for Savage junkies is: http://www.savageshooters.com Another great group of fellows and above all another civil forum like this one. Those fellows will bend over backwards to help new Savage owners further their individual interest. I'm Hoot over there as well, though I haven't been as active lately due to black rifle disease. One thing I must mention is a rather unique twist recently for Remington 700 owners. There is a line of barrels called the RemAge barrels. They are a Savage type barrel with a set nut that are threaded to utilize Remington 700 receivers. Just like the Savages, they can be barrel changed without a gunsmith, which is not like a stock 700. I have one of those also in 6mm Remington and my .308 barrel for it is yet another 1 holer at 100 yards, but it is actually on a Remington 700 Varmint action. Which is just an extra strong, heavy action. Despite being able to hybrid the 700 to Savage barrels, the RemAge has not caught on despite being out for about two years. Too many 700 owners just are not comfortable making the leap to a switch barrel. They're too hung up on 700s just not being the way they come. You can get a Remage conversion barrel and nut for around $300 in quite a few interesting calibers besides the standard fare, like 220 Swift, 6mm BR, 6mm Dasher, 6.5x47, 6.5-284, even 6.5 Creedmoor and other long range competition calibers, even the tireless .254 Roberts. I would love to see one in 25 WSSM, but as yet have not. That doesn't mean someone hasn't made one, I just haven't seen one. Last, but not least. There is a large shank Savage switch barrel in the punishing .458 Winchester out there if you're considering pursuing the African class game, but be prepared to pay for it in recoil. Youcha!

I did not touch upon the long action Savage models, the 110, 111, 112 and 116 since we were discussing easy going calibers for youth shooters, but they're out there as well in .30-06, .25-06, 7mm Magnum and .300 Win Mag, the latter two requires a magnum bolt face. I believe there are also RUM calibers and then custom stuff, but by the time you're buying into that class of weapon, you're in for a large chunk of change and could afford a non-Savage brand if you wanted.

Whew! TMI!

If you want to learn more, check out the Savage Shooters forums. In a nut shell, you can pick up an entry level Model 11 with synthetic stock and accutrigger starting around $400. A little cheaper without the Accutrigger. They're good hunting rifles and quite popular for folks who don't have an bottomless banking account. You can also get them in a no frills wood stock, if that's your pleasure and again, there are plenty of aftermarket stocks as well.

I'm wore out... off to bed.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Spring and Buffer

Postby Larrys1911 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:42 pm

WOW Hoot....

Thanks

I was up until 2:30 this morning learnin all bout them savages.......

tried to buy one off GB this morning..... hee hee

this is what I hate about this stuff..... I can spend a grand a week with no problem.... Well until the wife finds out....

Larry
Larrys1911

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles