Spring and Buffer

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Spring and Buffer

Postby Larrys1911 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Uh well Tex with all due respect to you...... If you dont understand.... I cant explain it..... :roll:

WHY

Are you guys SURE Tex here aint a woman???

Why cant he use a BM....... SERIOUSLY? OMG the recoil

Prolly almost as bad as my 1894 Marlin in 44 mag..... HORRENDUS Shoulder dislocating RECOIL man......

No Im not gonna do that to him, he NEEEDS a 243.......

Larry :roll: :lol:
Larrys1911

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Larrys1911 wrote:Uh well Tex with all due respect to you...... If you dont understand.... I cant explain it..... :roll:

WHY

Prolly almost as bad as my 1894 Marlin in 44 mag..... HORRENDUS Shoulder dislocating RECOIL man......

Well, Larry. I dont know how old your boy is and I don't know what he looks like, but I know my boy was 8 the first time that he shot a 30-30 and he loved it. He was small, but fiesty. At ten, he was shooting tree rats and doves with a 20 Gauge single shot that I think has more recoil than my 450. it was just a couple of questions that I felt would be inappropriate for the forum. I ain't worried about my boy cuz he is now 23 years old and toting a CHL and a 1911.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Larrys1911 wrote:Uh well Tex with all due respect to you...... If you dont understand.... I cant explain it..... :roll:

WHY

Not too sure what that's all about but yeah, I got a pair. No need to be insulting. Okay?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 pm

WHY

Yeah Larry, I know your writing in Jest, but please be careful, you're riding a little close to the edge.

Your little guy must be fairly young, why don't you brag on him a little and tell us some more about him, so we can better understand your dilemma..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Larrys1911 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Guys Im really sorry if anyone took offense....

Tex..... It aint funny if you gotta explain it so I guess It didnt work.... No offense man. I just meant you were playing the part of my wife....
Cant he just use ????????

Well the honest answer is yea most likely but.... I WANT A FREAKIN 243 :lol:
Like I said it aint funny ifn ya gotta splain it.... Sorry I offended you it certainly wasnt intended.

My Son is 7 and hes 100% BOY...complete Handful but such a blast. I dont think he is capable of handling anything that weighs more than 6-7lbs honestly.

I am EXTREMELY protective of him from a recoil standpoint.
My father took me shooting the first time at 4. I had never shot even a BB gun. He and his freind were shooting his mod 66 Smith with 357mags. I asked him to shoot it and he just handed it to me. When I finally got what I considered a good sight picture on the Bud can floating in the Mississippi the 66 was about 2" from my head. you can pretty well guess the rest. I have had a love affair with firearms all my life and it continues to this day but I also still have a flinch even after over a decade of competition shooting and tens of thousands of rounds downrange. SO I will probably be overprotective of my little buddy for a while.

Sorry again Tex, I really meant nothing by it.
Last edited by Larrys1911 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larrys1911

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Larrys1911 wrote:Guys Im really sorry if anyone took offense....

Tex..... It aint funny if you gotta explain it so I guess It didnt work.... No offense man. I just meant you were playing the part of my wife....
Cant he just use ????????

Well the honest answer is yea most likely but.... I WANT A FREAKIN 243 :lol:
Like I said it aint funny ifn ya gotta splain it.... Sorry I offended you it certainly wasnt intended.

My Son is 7 and hes 100% BOY...complete Handful but such a blast. I dont think he is capable of handling anything that weighs more than 6-7lbs honestly.

I am EXTREMELY protective of him from a recoil standpoint.
My father took me shooting the first time at 4. I had never shot even a BB gun. He and his freind were shooting his mod 66 Smith with 357mags. I asked him to shoot it and he just handed it to me. When I finally got what I considered a good sight picture on the Bud can floating in the Missippi the 66 was about 2" from my head. you can pretty well guess the rest. I have had a love affair with firearms all my life and it continues to this day but I also still have a flinch even after over a decade of competition shooting and tens of thousands of rounds downrange. SO I will probably be overprotective of my little buddy for a while.

Sorry again Tex, I really meant nothing by it.

Well, just go to show ya, none of us has much of a command of the English written prose. I have three years of College English and can barely write, wherein folks can understand me much. My wife thinks me an Alien, from Outer Space.

So your little guy, can ya get him a 22lr and set up a shot over bait, that's real close to him, where he just can't miss? What's your Son's name? Where on the planet do you folks Hail from?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Larrys1911 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 pm

LOL,

In School I was offered an English Scholorship.... and I was STUIPD and turned it down. I wanted to be an engineer...

Nick is my son and he asked me this year if I would buy him a BB gun so we could go deer hunting. :o kinda what sparked this whole thing.

If he shows enough real interest I will make sure he has the opportunity to kill one. Currently its a passing thing so Im not really to worried about it yet.
He did ask me the other day while I was building the lower for the 450 when we would go back out and shoot.... so its comming.

Larry
Larrys1911

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:22 am

Apology humbly accepted and now that the picture you was painting has more colour, I must strongly agree with you.
At seven, that's a bit of a game changer. I would agree that the 243 is the most probable solution. But since I live in TX if I was starting over with a rug rat, I would fix him up a bolt action 223 Remmy and let him shove 60-70 grain soft points. But that's only cuz it's legal here in TX to shoot big game with .223 caliber centerfires. It may not be legal where you live. So, yes I agree. 243 in a bolt action like a Ruger or a Browning. There's all other brands too. I just prefer the latter.
:roll:
And I know that you might think it may not be funny if you have to explain it, but we got a pretty good sense of humor around here and one mans' tedium, is another mans' treasure. In other words, you might feel like you are grinding your own axe, but somewhere, you are taking a razor strap to someone elses' wit. Don't worry, someone will see a place to insert humor. But we strive to not take BLIND shots at each other. Example? The guys are teasing me about sleeping with my 450B. They know I'm married to my Glock. LOL! But it's not a blind joke. They have sorta gotten to know me. But I Try not to overdo it with folks I don't know,(that I consider myself to be in solidarity with). Not until I get to know them and know their sense of humor and their limits.
Anyway, it's all cool so no worries.
Have you looked at some of the 6mm cartridges? What's the smallest you can legally use for deer there?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Apology humbly accepted and now that the picture you was painting has more colour, I must strongly agree with you.
At seven, that's a bit of a game changer. I would agree that the 243 is the most probable solution. But since I live in TX if I was starting over with a rug rat, I would fix him up a bolt action 223 Remmy and let him shove 60-70 grain soft points. But that's only cuz it's legal here in TX to shoot big game with .223 caliber centerfires. It may not be legal where you live. So, yes I agree. 243 in a bolt action like a Ruger or a Browning. There's all other brands too. I just prefer the latter.
...snip

Start 'em out with a Savage Model 11 .243. With a barrel nut wrench and headspace gauges, you can change calibers for around $139.00 and that's a decent ER Shaw air-gauged barrel. The parent case allows you to move them up to either .260 Remington, 7mm-08, .308, or .358 Winchester.

Starting with an assembled rifle, a caliber change will take you maybe an hour back to assembled rifle after your first one, which will probably cost you another hour due to apprehension.

Midway and Brownells sells kits that includes the barrel, wrench, headspace gauges and instructions for ~$199. You can then reuse the barrel wrench and headspace gauges and just buy the barrels. If you just want a new, Savage sporting contour take-off barrel, you can get them for around $85.

I'd say start them out with a .223 Model 11, but the bolt face doesn't fit the .308 parent case calibers and you'd have to buy an additional bolt face and mag well liner to change up in caliber. Not that the bolt faces are expensive, or hard to change. That would add an additional half hour the first time.

There is no magic or special knowledge necessary to do a caliber change on Savages. Just basic tool skills and the ability to follow instructions and they're great Dad & Lad projects ;)

The Savage rifles are the bolt-action version of black rifles.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Larrys1911 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks Sheepdawg,

I really meant nothing at all by it.

Hoot...

HOLY CRAP how did the Mod11 Get by me???? Ill be checking that out soon

Is the accuracy the of the 11 the normal Savage tack driving they are famous for lately?

Honestly I hadnt thought of letting him use a stripped M4 with heavy bullets.... That would be really cheap for me......
Here you guys go again..... I gotta buy another new toy....For my SON of course....Yea yea thats it

that Savage sounds SWEET gotta check it out and since Ive been doing my own smithing for years changing a barrel dont bother me a bit.... Sounds like it changes out kinda like an AR

Larry
Larrys1911

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles