Front gas block canted - Range update p3

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Front gas block canted

Postby mnhornet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice, that's the way it should be, IMO.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Good job there, teamja2! Now we know what to expect from recent assembly jobs.

Side note: I see you've also learned that Bushmaster "customer service" does not answer emails. I currently have five unanswered emails over the last month. Another thing that we now know what to expect. :(
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby teamja2 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:51 am

Range update!

Run to Cabelas and pick up a Burris PEPR 1" scope mount to mount the Leupold 2-7 VX1 on the rifle. Scope mount fit / finish / installation and positioning are very nice. I was debating between the PEPR mount and the Armalite mount and like the position of the Burris mount (reported to be slightly higher than the Armalite mount). Burris mount says made in China but quality looks nice.

Mount the upper to an Armalite national match lower half - Happy to say on 25 rounds the rifle functioned flawlessly. Initial impressions - wow I like this rifle.

Sight in 25 yards - 4 rounds to get it zeroed at 25. I knew this may be a longer range session ( and coming off shooting a 45-70 guide gun with stoked 405gn loads) I started with the Past recoil shield and used the shield for most rounds as to not get flinchy. Shooting with a Past recoil shield recoil is not an issue.
Move to 100. First shot 5.5" high, 3 inches right. Move scope a bunch.

Shot 2 - 6, group 1 1.5" high, 1/4" right. Shoot 4 more, overall group size is 1 1/16" 4 touching, 1 slightly out. Wow I like this rifle.

Group 2 100yds 1 called flyer, 2 1/4 with flyer, 1 1/4 without.

Group 3 100 yards 1 5/8"

Group 4 100 yards no recoil shield 1 1/2"

All groups are 5 shots.
My range takeaways - I know there is more accuracy in this rifle. Shooting without the recoil shield - recoil is slower than I thought and less punishing to shoot than my 270 with plastic butt plate. Shooting with the a2 stock is doable but after a few mags I suspect you may start to feel it some. For that reason I would like to get one of Gunnuts stocks - that should be the hot ticket. Muzzle blast is there, not as bad as I thought. I think I may take the izzy off especially if I can get a thread protector for the muzzle. I plan to hunt with this and value less blast and noise. Now to get dies as I really want to play with the 230 gn loads.

Ryan
teamja2

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 pm

teamja2 wrote:Range update!...snip...
Ryan

Congrats Ryan. Now you to know the lure of the thumper. One recommendation would be to pick up a Sims LimbSaver medium slip-on recoil pad and give it a try. It distributes the impact over a wider area as it conforms to you shoulder and distributes the recoil impulse over a greater amount of time. My dad has a Browning A-bolt presentation grade in .270 and I find it's recoil more objectionable than the thumper also.

Walmart carries the Sims Limbsaver re-branded as Winchester for around $20.00. It's the real deal and a lot less than the MSRP of $38.00 from Sims. It also makes the short A2 stock have more of an LOP like a sporting rifle. For my frame, it fit better. YMMV.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Front gas block canted - Range update p3

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:06 pm

Loosen up the set screws and realign them with the detentes Hoot has shown us..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles