Front gas block canted - Range update p3

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Front gas block canted - Range update p3

Postby teamja2 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Just got my new 16" thumper upper assembly and looking at it the front gas block is noticeably canted right compared to the rail on the upper receiver. Sent an email to bushmaster to see what the next steps are. Slightly frustrated because I want iron sights on this rifle and don't want to try adjusting myself on something unfired.
Last edited by teamja2 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
teamja2

Re: Front gas block canted

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm just an AR newbie here, but I definitely would not fire it just yet...it will probably short stroke on ya, because chances are that the barrel vent hole is not aligned with the gas block hole, eh. There are supposed to be dimples in the barrel to align the setscrews, so the fix is probably (???) realtively simple. Then again, some of those things were assembled with loctite, taper fit, etc., who knows?

Hey, guys, can ya hook a brother up here? :?:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 pm

I've heard of one or two of these cases. The Gurus will be checking in Directly. But CF I believe is right especially about waiting to fire it until you get the gas block realigned. I also think that there is some type of index. I can't give any reason why it Canted, it's very painful to think Bushmaster employees dropped the ball here, it could have just sneaked past QC. I would be on the phone with them immediately and I would not discuss my issue with anyone but a manager. Do NOT talk the the CSR guy named Aaron. He's a first class jer..... Uh, rookie.
But don't sweat it too much. It's a very easy fix and shouldn't have to go back.
Check your PM.
Last edited by Texas Sheepdawg on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 pm

If it's the front gas block it isn't doing anything but sitting there. It's not connected to the gas tube.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Ahh...very pertinent point. As they used to tell us in school before a test: RTFQ!!! A 20" tube has a "front" gas block that is just a mount base for Bushy's "V-Match" sight accessories. On your 16" rig, that is indeed the actual gas block/sight base. Gurus will be along shortly. Listen carefully.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:19 pm

I don't own the carbine version, but on my 20 inch model, the second thing to go in the junk box was the unneeded forward gas block. under it was witness indentations to assure correct alignment

Assuming the closer block has the same indentations, they will guide you in aligning the block.

BTW, the first thing off was the Izzy muzzle brake [cough] flash hider [/cough].

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:30 pm

A 20" 450B has two gas blocks. The one out in front of the hand guard is a nonfunctional block. The functional gas block in under the hand guard.
HOWEVER
The 16" 450 B gas block with the rails on it IS the functioning gas block and is the only gas block on the barrel. I posted a thread about this several months ago and I will dig it up and post the link here for all to check out.
:mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Here is a thread regarding gas blocks. Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby teamja2 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 pm

I should say I understand stuff happens and I'm sure they will make it right. It probably just slipped through the cracks. No hard feelings just want it right. It's noticeable enough that you can see it in a picture taken down the barrel.

I'll add functionally it would most likely be fine just iron sights would be hard if not impossible to zero.

Ryan
teamja2

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Here is a video by Brownells regarding AR gas blocks.
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9H0M8VH ... ata_player

I'm sure you can find tons of related videos from this video.
But I try to stay with the Brownells, Midway, and other professional
Video channels and steer away from "Joe Bob" in his basement.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles