Put Up or Hold Up?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Put Up or Hold Up?

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I'm ready to build one of the three Thumpers, but finances are tight. :roll: Anyone care to speculate whether there will be a Tax Time sale this year? Was Bushmaster caught with too much inventory and an unexpected economic downturn last year, or is this sale an annual event? The difference would pay for my reloading setup for this new caliber.
Thanks,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Put Up or Hold Up?

Postby thatguy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:34 pm

It appears that it is an annual event.. they did it in 2008 and 2009

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 am

Define "build".

If you want to build your own, its cheaper than any sale Ive ever seen bushmaster have. I just used an MGI barrel and bolt ($300 with shipping) with a DPMS lo pro upper ($79), Hogue free float tube ($20 shipped thru another websites classified ads), and a generic low profile gas block/tube ($30 thru sherluck). the bolt carrier and charging handle I had layin around, but would have cost me roughly an additional $75 combined. Now, no I didnt add the flash suppressor/muzzle brake as I build my own, and You cant put a price on custom stuff (LMAO). Now, If you have an upper already, it could be as simple as swapping barrels and bolts depending on what variety upper you have.

If you mean build as in buy a complete upper, and put it on a complete lower-your kinda at their discretion.
Mike

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm

I did look at the MGI lineup but felt unsure whether I needed a 7.62x39 carrier and barrel extension also or not. Yes, it would be cheaper by far than a rifle comprised entirely of Bushmaster components. I also read a post by someone who went your route and the barrel was machined crooked or something like that. It is good to hear from at least one other person who went the MGI route as one person's experience is not a large pool for developing an opinion. I got unexpectedly called into work today (a holiday where I work) and wound up working 6 hours at 2.5x rate of pay, so in a couple of weeks I'll have a little more wiggle room finance wise. I have a standing offer to get a complete 20" Bushmaster unit from a distributor out east with a discount for working for an LEO to the tune of $1099 shipped and have that out if I grow impatient waiting for the Tax Time sale or wind up not going the MGI route. Thanks for sharing your experience. I may reconsider the MGI route. Half the fun is searching abut the internet for the best deal or catching wind of one you did not know about. Some strange parallel to hunting and gathering. I have a free floating forearm and bull barrel gas block somewhere, otherwise nothing laying about to use. I'm looking at a CMMG complete lower and either a Tax Time 20" upper, with the only changes being a G27 grip, winter trigger guard and RRA 2-stage trigger. I can cobble up an upper from discreet parts or get a Blackthorne upper for a reasonable price. I've built two ARs from Blackthorne kits and stripped lowers in the past. Both performed perfectly but I sold them when I got bored with 5.56 shooting.
Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Don't forget you have to open up the ejection port a bit, the_mad_rshn did a great write-up on it See this thread
My next build will consist of a 10.5" barrel from http://www.ballisticadvantagellc.com/450Bushmaster.php
See this thread and a MWG 90rnd snail drum that the Beowulf guys seem to be having luck with. I was seriously looking at MGI's Hydra setup with interchangeable magwells for a universal setup that would be able to use what ever caliber I had an itch to shoot that day.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Mike » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Respectfully, I didnt forget anything. :roll:

The lo pro upper reciever does not need to be modified in any way, it has no dust cover, or forward assist, and the port is larger.

When I put together a 17 rem upper, I tired to contact the ballistic advantage guys, but seemed as though they had better things to do than actually sell products. Maybe you will have better luck.
Mike

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks for the info on the port size on the low-pro upper I might have to keep that in mind on my next .450 upper build. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby the_mad_rshn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 pm

2zero6 wrote:Don't forget you have to open up the ejection port a bit, the_mad_rshn did a great write-up on it See this thread
My next build will consist of a 10.5" barrel from http://www.ballisticadvantagellc.com/450Bushmaster.php
See this thread and a MWG 90rnd snail drum that the Beowulf guys seem to be having luck with. I was seriously looking at MGI's Hydra setup with interchangeable magwells for a universal setup that would be able to use what ever caliber I had an itch to shoot that day.

Yes sir. You can watch a YouTube video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLkrtymmoI

BUt I have a guy at the range who swears that he built an upper without enlarging the port. I saw the gun, but at the time I was not into the 450B, so I cannot confirm.

Good luck. But building your own from scratch for sure is cheaper.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:07 pm

the_mad_rshn wrote:
2zero6 wrote:Don't forget you have to open up the ejection port a bit, the_mad_rshn did a great write-up on it See this thread

Yes sir. You can watch a YouTube video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLkrtymmoI

BUt I have a guy at the range who swears that he built an upper without enlarging the port. I saw the gun, but at the time I was not into the 450B, so I cannot confirm.

Good luck. But building your own from scratch for sure is cheaper.

Humm..A 450 round nearly clears an unmodified Mil-Spec upper, so I can imagine that some uppers will work if they are made slightly out of spec.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Not to split hairs, but a lo pro reciever would fall outside the mill spec arena, wouldnt it? ie, no FA or Dust cover????

When you gettin back from Virginia??
Mike

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles