barrel breakin

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

barrel breakin

Postby Ridge1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:29 pm

Just got my 16in. upper from Cabelas. Any suggestions on how to breakin the chrome lined barrel over the steel barrels.
Thanks.
Ridge1

Re: barrel breakin

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:03 am

There is a Q&A on the Bushmaster website about this. They state that no break-in is required.

"After firing a couple hundred rounds, the chrome lining will "polish out" from its light, flat gray, factory-new look to a brightly reflective, polished appearance. During this break-in period, excessive cleaning with solvent or brush should be avoided as that will only prolong the time (and number of rounds) it takes to achieve the final "bullet polishing" of the barrel."

The link to this is http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/?f=23

Not knowing this, when I got my 20", I did a one shot and clean sequence (run a swab with solvent down the barrel, followed by a lightly oiled swab) five or ten times, then five shots and clean a couple of times followed by one cleaning after an additonal 10 shots. I probably over did it, per Bushmaster's recommendation.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: barrel breakin

Postby randyf » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:31 am

I do my own "modified " version of the break-in.

I shoot 3 shots, clean, shoot 3 more shots, clean, shoot 5 shots, clean, shoot 10 shots, clean, and good to go....
randyf

Return to AR15 Style Rifles