New here....Buffer Spring ?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New here....Buffer Spring ?

Postby TacoTaco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Long time lurker here, but finally decided to join and post.

I've got a 16" 450 with an A2 stock. I was having alot of FTFs....didnt matter what mag I used, and it did it while running factory ammo and/or my reloads. The bolt would come back and stop at the rear position and wouldnt strip a fresh round and chamber it. A quick pull on the charging handle would get me back in business, but that obviously wasnt a desirable scenario. So....

A buddy of mine ordered a .458 SOCOM upper from RRA. With the upper came 2 new buffer springs- one for carbine stocks and one for A2 stocks. Since he was running a carbine stock I snagged his A2 spring, and now my feeding issues are a thing of the past. Havent had a single FTF after 100+ rounds of factory and my reloads. The only difference I can tell in the spring is that it appears stiffer than my standard spring, and about four inches of it are painted red. (Or green for the carbine version) Either way, I figured I post this in the hopes it helps someone else out. I ordered a new set from RRA to replace the spring I swipped from my buddy....cost was $9 for both springs.
TacoTaco

Re: New here....Buffer Spring ?

Postby Jailer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:30 pm

I would check magazines first if you are having failure to feed issues. Might have to tweak the feed lips a bit on the mag to get it to feed reliably.
Jailer

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:07 pm

TacoTaco wrote:Long time lurker here, but finally decided to join and post.

I've got a 16" 450 with an A2 stock. I was having alot of FTFs....didnt matter what mag I used, and it did it while running factory ammo and/or my reloads. The bolt would come back and stop at the rear position and wouldnt strip a fresh round and chamber it. A quick pull on the charging handle would get me back in business, but that obviously wasnt a desirable scenario. So....

A buddy of mine ordered a .458 SOCOM upper from RRA. With the upper came 2 new buffer springs- one for carbine stocks and one for A2 stocks. Since he was running a carbine stock I snagged his A2 spring, and now my feeding issues are a thing of the past. Havent had a single FTF after 100+ rounds of factory and my reloads. The only difference I can tell in the spring is that it appears stiffer than my standard spring, and about four inches of it are painted red. (Or green for the carbine version) Either way, I figured I post this in the hopes it helps someone else out. I ordered a new set from RRA to replace the spring I swipped from my buddy....cost was $9 for both springs.

Welcome Taco-Man, hey listen, this is a common problem in all AR's. Did you properly clean the new weapon? And then did you properly lube that cleaned weapon, before firing? If you did, then please don't take offense, this is for the new guys then. I say "Properly", because if you have not done so, then of course you'll need to do it. The AR platform is not like all the other weapons we have in the safe, and "Requires" cleaning and lubing, in a proper fashion, with diffidently defined rules, that most new AR shooter have no idea how to do. They are easy, but rules none the less and if not followed the results Will be FTF's. Do you, or anyone else, need me to post something on this anomaly, hey we were all Cheechako's (a term from my Alaskan PH days, have a little fun and google it) once, speak up, we don't bite here?

P.S.. Just did some searching of the YouTube and they have many, many fine videos on Cleaning and Lubing the AR15. Check them out and in no time at all you too can become proficient..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby TacoTaco » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Wildcatter- No offense taken at all! But I am very familiar with the AR platform...I own several and was an Armorer in the Navy. It was cleaned and lubed per spec. As for the magazines, I have both the blue follower and black follower....it seemed to favor the blue over the black. But like I said, ever since I put in the RRA buffer spring, its been FLAWLESS. I mean, not even a hickup. Even went to so far as dumping an entire mag in rapid fire---not a problem. Runs like a dream now.
TacoTaco

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:24 pm

TacoTaco wrote:Wildcatter- No offense taken at all! But I am very familiar with the AR platform...I own several and was an Armorer in the Navy. It was cleaned and lubed per spec. As for the magazines, I have both the blue follower and black follower....it seemed to favor the blue over the black. But like I said, ever since I put in the RRA buffer spring, its been FLAWLESS. I mean, not even a hickup. Even went to so far as dumping an entire mag in rapid fire---not a problem. Runs like a dream now.

Guess you fix it then. The system is designed to function with the std. GI goodies, that doesn't mean swapping things out wont work, but then sometimes it can be a problem. Maybe it was a defective spring? Might never know, but your going now and it's allot of fun, right? To bad the Navy didn't use this for a Boarding weapon. The Coast Guard very nearly adopted it until Leitner-Wise Muddied the waters..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 pm

You gotta admit, that hydraulic buffer sure looks cool all the same. Garage Logic ;)
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 pm

HEY -- a fellow garage magician!
Siringo

Return to AR15 Style Rifles