Gas block mod

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Gas block mod

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:57 pm

A little question I asked our WC and his response "he told me I could post it"

I was just wondering if you have decided on a price for activating the forward gasblock? Also on average how many fps increase would a guy expect?

Thanks much
Kris

As to Price, no we haven't yet, it won't be cheap, but it will be effective. We're experimenting with the system now and of course we want the system to work with the factory ammunition as well as with the Hypo Rounds, which is no small event, something no-one else is doing or for that matter, can do. This is way more than just drilling a new hole, much must be considered. Of course if this conversion were set up for production and were building tens of thousands of barrels a day, it'd be quite cheap, but these will will never have that luxury, so one or two at a time will most likely be the norm, with it's associated elevated costs.

As for speed increases. A little physics are in order, for just a perspective.

Consider: In the world of Wildcatting, a fifty (50fps) increase, would be considered a success. But you and I, fry much bigger fish, i.e., bear, moose, elk, and the like, so 50fps wouldn't satisfy us at all, even though the 450b factory ammunition is already up to that task.

If in a perfect world, if one lined up 100 mythological Deer and shot them with bullet X, they all die just like X. Now assuming a consistent bullet, to do what I'm about to suggest, to stay together and penetrate consistently and move that bullet at 100fps more, one would-not really be able to really tell much difference in the killing another group of 100 deer. If you moved that same said bullet 200fps more, then that group of 100 deer being killed, would be VERY MUCH be, noticeably effectively knocked-down and killed quicker, better, and dead-er (Remember, we're in a mythological world here, but this comparison is effectively instructive, so bear with me a little.). Now, move the bullet 300fps, NOW, the visible compatible EFFECTS will really be noticeable and will be like walking into a dark room and turning on the lights, that group of deer will react like they have been hit by an Obama, High Speed, Freight Train. So indeed, speed can kill, now couple that speed with a fat bullet and you've got a killing machine like the world has never seen, ever, which is the case for the 450 Bushmaster now. But I and you and many more, want more, if it's possible. And only we would think that that the 450b, wasn't enough. Our .451 bullet was designed to go 750fps, now we're doing 2200fps with the factory fodder, so we've got enough, but inquiring minds want to know, what are the possibilities and do they mean, better?

Just recently, Hoot made the 200gr Barnes XPB travel at 2400fps+, I made that same bullet travel at 3000fps+!! So to answer your question, as to FPS increases, depends on you and your experience, for me, depending on the bullet and load, I see, 500-1500fps increases and am perfectly happy with 300fps, if the pressures are up the task, and that the weapon will handle it safely.

So, there you are with some perspective. Hoot won't be able to wring much more out of his load before the gun starts to short-stroke and this malady has nothing to do with the reloader, for he is indeed a great one, it's just that the Bushy system was designed for a factory loading, that just begs for Hot-Rodding, but only, if then the reloader, is up to all of the safety tasks as well?

So, what is needed, in great part, to get past the so-to-speak "Factory Loading", is a rifle length gas system. But a rifle length system isn't enough, if you also want to shoot factory ammunition and have the weapon work as normal. Hence, I will soon be offering a modification, to the shooter-experimenters' weapon, that will allow them to experiment with the upper regions of the Universe and function factory ammunition at the same time. But as always, Personal Safety will be the Responsibility of the Reloader/Experimenter.

Hope this helps..
Stealthshooter

Re: Gas block mod

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Im on pins and needles here!
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:51 pm

My goal is to get a 400-405 grain bullet moving 1900-2000 fps I'm very interested in seeing if this mod would get me there!
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 am

Stealthshooter wrote:My goal is to get a 400-405 grain bullet moving 1900-2000 fps I'm very interested in seeing if this mod would get me there!

That's allot of bullet and is long enough to occupy tons of powder real-estate, but hey, it ain't race-day yet, so until we know, we won't know, if a 405gr @ 2000fps is possible. I'm surprised by results all the time. My first load with the 325gr Barnes Busters was at 2100fps and it look like more speed was available. But, I'm sure a 405 above 1900fps will exceed the SAMMI spec, so Beware..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to AR15 Style Rifles