White ar furniture?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

White ar furniture?

Postby mossy89 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:12 pm

So my fiance wants a gun, so I figure ill get her a .223 or something. But anyway, she wants it to be white. Well, she wants everything white but the upper and lower receivers and the barrell. I cant find any white stocks, grips, or handguards anywhere. So, I guess my next step is to paint some of my own. Any of you know where to find already white ar stuff? Or tips on how to paint it and what I should use?
mossy89

Re: White ar furniture?

Postby Colohunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm not sure where to buy white furniture, but you could check out DuraCoat or Brownells Alumahyde. I haven't used either, but when I was looking to paint my 6.8 AR those were the two that I ended up mainly looking at. I'm not sure if Alumahyde comes in white, but DuraCoat comes in just about any color you could want. (She could even have it pink)
Colohunter

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Only thing I've ever seen is mostly white in winter camo somewhere recently. Painting is possible, but would be something of a trick...you have probably three different material substrates to deal with on an AR. Duracoat would probably do it, but I sure would check with them for advice.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BayouBob » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:47 pm

There are some white ones out there but they are scarce. Cavalry Arms made their polymer lowers in lots of colors from pink to purple to black but selling firearms to illegal buyers gets a company put out of business. Here is the one I built on one of their lowers for my finace.
Attachments
maryl's rifle 2.jpg
maryl's rifle 2.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 9704 times
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby mossy89 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, where can i purchase white duracoat? and how do I do it? Ive looked for it and cant find it anywhere.
mossy89

Postby thatguy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 pm

I have seen a bunch of ppl paint their guns camo colors - so painting one white should not be an issue..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby mossy89 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 pm

http://lauerweaponry.com/item-detail-co ... type=stock

This site has pretty much any color you want. Took me all day to find this.
mossy89

Postby Colohunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Sorry mossy89, I should have included a link or something for you. You should have plenty of choices on colors, I think they also have some good information about how to apply it.
Colohunter

Postby Technosavant » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Here's the link to the white:

http://lauerweaponry.com/item-detail-co ... type=stock

Personally, I recommend getting a fair amount of the reducer for cleaning (I also use their Trustrip degreaser for prep); it helps clean the equipment off far better than anything else I've tried. It is difficult to coat dark things to light colors (you end up having to make it pretty thick), so I might recommend starting with flat dark earth furniture instead of black (if possible). Even then, you might need multiple coats.

For application, the cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight works really well; just use a regulator set to 25psi or so.

It isn't hard to apply, but I would recommend doing it outside... it really will stink up the house.
Technosavant

Postby akula682 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:39 am

if you havent already painted it have you thought about dipping it or sending it out for a powder coat?

for home, (they also let you send your rifle in)
http://www.camodipkit.com/

this isnt a link to someone who can PC plastic it just indicates that it can be done.
http://www.finishing.com/141/87.shtml
Josh

"do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson
akula682

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles