Overgassed? Pic Inside

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Overgassed? Pic Inside

Postby wildcatter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:35 am

45r wrote:I think mine is overgassing,it has ripped rims with reloads that don't look overpressured.If I go to midloads it seems to do OK.I haven't had much time with it yet but I might have to put some sort of gas adjustment system on it.I like overgas for downloads but not good for getting max velocity.The rifle has gobs of power so using mid level reloads would be OK anyway.I haven't got swiping or brass flow of any sort just a couple ripped rims and a couple that almost ripped off.The reloads used 36 to 38 grains Lil Gun and that should be well within pressure limits.The bolt is opening too soon for some reason.Mine is a 20 inch barrel and I think it would be better with a longer gas system.

Ok, for what ever reason you are at, what I call the "WALL", where the bolt is trying to open, before the round has released it grip on the chamber walls (a normal effect, because of the low pressure Factory loads and then need for a carbine length, gas-port, because), thus the ripped rims. You'll need to back off on you already mild load of lil gun, to increase the dwell time. That should stop the ripping of the rims. I very soon (gotta get some guns <three 45 Pro's> out of the shop first), I will be offering a mail-in option/conversion for your barrels, that will Hugely increase the dwell time, allowing much more and slower powder types, thus Dramatically Increasing Bullet Speeds, with out hitting the "WALL". This is the very conversion, that allows me to get 2500-2800fps++, with bullets ranging in the 230-250gr area, without hitting the Wall or ripping rims, of course, without question, you're going to have to be the final arbitrator, as to the safety of such loads, even though many here are already at those speeds and pressures.

The premise: Getting pass the WALL, that is plaguing 45r here and just so many others..

..Just as a feeler here, how many of you guys would consider such a conversion? One that would allow you to use the elevated loads, i.e. Hy-Performance Loads, and the factory loading, interchangeably, which is a quality the majors will never offer, any time soon, because they really can't do it in the first place (too much to do, to make mild and hypo loads work interchangeably, within a semi-auto rifle. Heck, they are just now getting around to doing that in shotguns, so maybe in fifty years we can expect them to to it in rifles)..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:19 pm

I had planned on sending you my upper this winter for a rifle length gas system!!
Stealthshooter

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:09 pm

wildcatter wrote:
45r wrote:..Just as a feeler here, how many of you guys would consider such a conversion? One that would allow you to use the elevated loads, i.e. Hy-Performance Loads, and the factory loading, interchangeably, which is a quality the majors will never offer, any time soon, because they really can't do it in the first place (too much to do, to make mild and hypo loads work interchangeably, within a semi-auto rifle. Heck, they are just now getting around to doing that in shotguns, so maybe in fifty years we can expect them to to it in rifles)..

..t

I'm guessing this modification will increase the velocity of standard factory ammo as well? If so, I'm in, with the understanding that I can't do everything I want at once (.450b revolver and .308 upper).

If I could plan your schedule for you, it would be .450b revolver first, .308 upper second, then send in my .450 upper for modification.

However, I am happy to go with your schedule, and get what I can get, LOL.

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:34 pm

This solved my problem with slowing the bolt cycling before the pressure dropped enough to release the brass. Some of the members have implemented it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Hoot wrote:This solved my problem with slowing the bolt cycling before the pressure dropped enough to release the brass. Some of the members have implemented it.

Hoot

Sho nuff, Hoots heavier buffer system will and does work, but is quit load sensitive. You can take this workable idea out to it's final conclusion, achieve the best in speeds, as it's results, but then your strapped with a tear down to get the lighter loaded fodder to cycle. Doing both, with reliability, is a real trick. In the mean time, incorporating Hoots work, will indeed work.

Now, who else would be interested in an "All Loads Functioning" conversion, from LeMAG?? I'm trying to get a feel for the demand and it doesn't matter if you can't do it right away. I'm only asking if there is an interest..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:39 pm

[/quote]

Now, who else would be interested in an "All Loads Functioning" conversion, from LeMAG?? I'm trying to get a feel for the demand and it doesn't matter if you can't do it right away. I'm only asking if there is an interest..

..t[/quote]

WC...you can count me in on this conversion. Daddy just got his new play toy this week. :D Colorado Elk herd better watch out this year!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm not sure at what point my carrier weight starts to cause problems that I could attribute to it, as I've yet to have any. I can tell you this. When doing my water shots at reduced powder charges to simulate distance, 24gr of Lil gun pushing a 200gr Barnes XPB ejected. It was amusing as I didn't even realize it had ejected. I was consumed with watching the ruptured milk jugs emptying out their contents immediately after I touched that particular load off. When I went to hand cycle the round out, it wasn't there! :shock: I looked around and sure 'nuff it was lying on the ground off to my right. It did not however, cycle the bolt back far enough to latch open. I do know that lighter loads than that did not eject. So, if you intend to load lighter than 24gr of Lil Gun, it may contribute to them not ejecting. Then again, I'd bet no one will be loading a round that light, carrier weight or not. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Will a heavier buffer and or spring accomplish the same thing as the weighted carrier?
Stealthshooter

Postby gunnut » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm in!! I.d love to see 230FMJs @ 3000FPS! :o
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Will a heavier buffer and or spring accomplish the same thing as the weighted carrier?
A heavier buffer should be similar. I can't say with regard to a heavier spring, as I've never used one.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles