Overgassed? Pic Inside

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Overgassed? Pic Inside

Postby Colohunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:03 am

Ok, that's what I was thinking you meant, I remember that coming up awhile back. If I remember right, both gas blocks would function, with a way to shut one off at a time to give you the option of either rifle length gas or carbine length gas. I'd probably be interested in that conversion as well.
Colohunter

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Sounds good to me...would you actually need the carbine length hole to function after converting? I'm supposing yes, with light loads/boolits at lower pressures.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Ok, I'm getting confused a little, so lemme try again. What I propose is to make the carbine length gas port inoperable, but you could easily go back to it at some time in the future, if you ever wanted it put back to factory specs. I'll make the rifle length gas block and port function, elevated loads (which will get you past the WALL), and also function the standard factory loads, both from the rifle length set-up, you could even alternate from factory to handloads, back and fourth. I hope this clears up some of the thoughts..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Colohunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Ok, I guess we will wait and see what you are going to come up with WC.
Last edited by Colohunter on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colohunter

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for the clarification WC...I don't think you were the confused one!

Your proposed mod sounds like something that should've been done to begin with. Keep us informed.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:09 pm

No, this is the reason why NO-ONE should trust the loading advise espoused on these pages or anywhere else for that matter. WE and especially I, in-particular, do not have the English language down pat yet and are Prose is not professional. You guys prolly understood something I was communicating but didn't mean it, quite as it came out.

What I really do and meant, is I sprinkle Fairy Dust over the weapon, rattle my Gord some and "PUFF", you become a Frog!!..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Colohunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:29 pm

Here is what I figured you were talking about WC:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=597&hilit=gas+block&start=10
Colohunter

Postby lungingturtle2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 am

Hi guys, have anyone on this site used the carbine pigtail gas tube to lenghten the carbine gas system with any success? I'm not new to AR15's but I have no experience reconfiguring components. Also what effect does "dwell time" (projectile time between gas port and end of barrel) have on the cycling process. Thanks for comments or response. Mike.
lungingturtle2

Postby Hoot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:04 am

lungingturtle2 wrote:Hi guys, have anyone on this site used the carbine pigtail gas tube to lenghten the carbine gas system with any success? I'm not new to AR15's but I have no experience reconfiguring components. Also what effect does "dwell time" (projectile time between gas port and end of barrel) have on the cycling process. Thanks for comments or response. Mike.

Though I know this came up in discussion last year, I can't find the thread. IIRC, Tim said it would not work for this situation, though I don't recall him explaining why, other than "it's not that simple".

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Hoot wrote:
lungingturtle2 wrote:Hi guys, have anyone on this site used the carbine pigtail gas tube to lenghten the carbine gas system with any success? I'm not new to AR15's but I have no experience reconfiguring components. Also what effect does "dwell time" (projectile time between gas port and end of barrel) have on the cycling process. Thanks for comments or response. Mike.

Though I know this came up in discussion last year, I can't find the thread. IIRC, Tim said it would not work for this situation, though I don't recall him explaining why, other than "it's not that simple".

Hoot

Dat rite. The pigtail gas tube does not, nor can it increase dwell time. But it does some things well, but then again, one can increase the buffer and of Carrier weight () a.k.a Hoots CCWsystem) and accomplish the same ills generally.

Why, the ptgt does not increase dwell time? Think about it, as gas is going into the tube, other gases, stored at the exit end, is being pushed out of the tube, at the same rate.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles