Overgassed? Pic Inside

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Overgassed? Pic Inside

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 am

Stealthshooter wrote:I was looking at this buffer. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=447981

Are you running a collapsible stock on your 450b? That carbine buffer you linked is for those kind of stocks. My 450b shipped with a rifle buffer. You can't interchange them. You can however either buy a heavier rifle buffer, or weight kit. My .300 OSSM was tough on brass. Before I glued in one of my CCWS systems like I did with my 450b bolt carrier, I wanted to know if the additional weight would help. So, I took the roll pin out of the rifle buffer, removed the plug, looked at the weights in it and cast a solid lead dowel the same size and put it in. It added something like 3.5 additional ounces to the buffer. I went back to the range and sure enough, it made a big difference in the battering of the brass. I figured I'd leave that in for a while instead of making one of my CCWS mods. After two range trips of 40-50 rounds, I was cleaning my rifle and I noticed the buffer was getting dings in it's face that it never got after 1k rounds of 450b with the weight in the bolt carrier instead. I think it is a matter of the aluminum buffer body being softer than the steel bolt carrier. I put my original weights back in my buffer and did the CCWS mod to my 300 OSSM's bolt carrier instead. I also cleaned up the face of the buffer. After 300 rounds, it has not re-developed those dings.

So, for a short term test, I'd say add some additional weight to your rifle buffer like I did to see it it helps. If you converted your stock over to a collapsible one, you can buy an H3 or H4 buffer and give it a try, but watch for dinging of the aluminum. You can temporarily mod a carbine buffer just like a rifle buffer, but their diminutive size makes it harder to get as much lead added as with a rifle buffer. Or, you could just do the CCWS mod to the receiver and be done with it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:16 am

I've been running a carbine stock and buffer since day one. I'm using the lower from my RRA Elite Entry.
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Well...........I took the weights out of my buffer and filled it with lead. It went from 2.9OZ to 4.6OZ. We will see what dif it makes hopefully tomorrow morning.
Stealthshooter

Postby 45r » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:43 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Hoot wrote:This solved my problem with slowing the bolt cycling before the pressure dropped enough to release the brass. Some of the members have implemented it.

Hoot

Sho nuff, Hoots heavier buffer system will and does work, but is quit load sensitive. You can take this workable idea out to it's final conclusion, achieve the best in speeds, as it's results, but then your strapped with a tear down to get the lighter loaded fodder to cycle. Doing both, with reliability, is a real trick. In the mean time, incorporating Hoots work, will indeed work.

Now, who else would be interested in an "All Loads Functioning" conversion, from LeMAG?? I'm trying to get a feel for the demand and it doesn't matter if you can't do it right away. I'm only asking if there is an interest..

..t

I'd probably want one in the future sometime.
45r

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Well...........I took the weights out of my buffer and filled it with lead. It went from 2.9OZ to 4.6OZ. We will see what dif it makes hopefully tomorrow morning.

That would be a useful bit of information for folks with carbine stock systems. Been raining here all day and was blustery yesterday, plus I had to whittle down the honey-do list to ensure domestic tranquility. So, no fun this weekend.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Hoot wrote:
Stealthshooter wrote:Well...........I took the weights out of my buffer and filled it with lead. It went from 2.9OZ to 4.6OZ. We will see what dif it makes hopefully tomorrow morning.

That would be a useful bit of information for folks with carbine stock systems. Been raining here all day and was blustery yesterday, plus I had to whittle down the honey-do list to ensure domestic tranquility. So, no fun this weekend.

Hoot

I will keep everyone updated as to what happens. I never even thought about it before I read this thread. I'm very interested to see if my last load that was just a touch too hot will now cycle.
Stealthshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:33 pm

WC...I'd be interested in the conversion idea, too...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Colohunter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:26 pm

WC, is this the dual gas port idea that you mentioned awhile back?
Colohunter

Postby wildcatter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:48 am

Colohunter wrote:WC, is this the dual gas port idea that you mentioned awhile back?

If I remember right and have the context correct, yes. The 20" barrel comes with two gas blocks, but the carbine length gas port is the only one that works, I'll have to activate the front gas block and take care of the rear gas port, same-same for the 16" barrel, though a little trickier..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles