How often do you need your FA?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

How often do you need your FA?

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm not trying to monopolize everyone's time. Just trying to line up my ducks with as much forethought as possible. If I wind up building my upper from discreet components, one item that represents a tough decision is the receiver. Obviously there is the conventional A3 flat-top and then there is the ever-growing popular lo-pro. The inherent strength in the 7075-T6 lo-pro is appealing, but I wonder about the loss of the Forward Assist. When I built the two 5.56 ARs I owned in the past, chambering was reliable enough that I never had to rely upon my FA to provide that extra umph to get a stubborn cartridge to seat. I know the 450 is a lot different physically than the 5.56 and wanted to hear from those of you with trigger time whether you find you need the FA from time to time? At the range, it's no big deal, but should I need a fast follow-up shot hunting, I assume that with the lo-pro, your only recourse is removing one of your two hands from the shooting position and cycling the charging handle to clear a problematic round as opposed to just thumbing the FA.What has been your personal experience with the 450B?
Thanks again,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: How often do you need your FA?

Postby Siringo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Hoot -- go to the Forum Index, under AR15 Rifles and on the 2nd page is a thread about "Forward Assist". Only reason I would use mine is to "quietly" chamber a round during hunting.
Siringo

Postby MudBug » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:27 pm

I took a 5 day long contractor class a couple years ago. when I say contractor I mean PSD, or what some people call mercs. It was basically a pre-deployment warm up class.

No, I'm not a contractor, or even military. I had just taken a bunch of other classes from this company and this one sounded like it might be fun.

Anyway. 5 days in 117* AZ july heat in the desert with all that fine sandy dirt and I used my FA several times.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby BD1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:39 pm

I use mine fairly often when first fooling around with the seating depth on different .453 cast boolit designs. I used it occasionally when shooting the blem nosler 77 grainers for practice when I was using the 77 grain sierras for high power. In any event I believe standard A3 uppers with a FA are also available in 7075-T6
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby gunnut » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:49 pm

If you are or goin to reload. It's a good idea to have one.
gunnut

Return to AR15 Style Rifles