450 b on the way

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 b on the way

Postby randyj » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:21 pm

I finally did it. I have been watching this gun for awhile I decided it needed to be in my collection. I am still waiting to have it delievered. Looks like 3 weeks out. Well I plan spend a bit of money to see how much accuracy I can squeeze out of it. I am getting a 20inch upper. Will be mating it to a spike tactical lower. I am looking for a for a 2 stage trigger next. I decided to use a nice heavy stock so I choose the magpul PRS. How are the freefloat aluminum front ends? Is it truly free floating ? Any means to attach a harris or other bipod.

Has anyone shot the 450 off a shooting rest? What kind of accuracy are you folks gettting?

thanks in advance
Randy
randyj

Re: 450 b on the way

Postby MudBug » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:47 pm

The FF Tube on the carbine has the sling swivel stud too close to the front edge to be able to tighten down a Harris bipod, I don't know if there are other bipods that work better, and I don't know if the rifle length on your 20" will have the stud placed further back.

The PRS is heavy like you said. I have one on my 22" grendel. I would say it's too heavy for a walking around gun.

As for accuracy. The factory hornady stuff is fantastic.

I shot this at 200 yards. Note the grid size on the sides 1"

Obviously my POA/POI was off on the first 4 shots, but even with the verticle stringing is less that 2". My 5th shot was after adjusting to get my scope on target. I didn't shoot any more targets that day because I was in a hurry and just checking my rifle before going on an elk hunt.

Oh, and this is with a 25 yard zero. With my rifle, scope height, etc I cross the POA line at 25 yards and 200 yards.

Also, this is using a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 - 4x scope with the triangle reticule which I love for hunting but I've never found it great for bench shooting small groups. The triangle reticule just isn't precise enough.

Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Welcome aboard Randy. I'm also waiting on my 20" upper to mate with an RRA 2-stage lower. Are you planning on using factory ammo or reloading? That's another black hole to throw money into. If you go the factory ammo route, save your brass and sell it to the folks here to offset your costs.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby randyj » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:14 pm

I am going to buy factory ammo, I want to reload at some point in time because I also have a 6.8 ar and 10mm glock which I would love to reload for aswell. I dont know the 1st thing about reloading, but I have started doing a little reading about it.

mudbug, thats some nice shooting!

thanks for the replies folks.
randyj

Postby Colohunter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy your 450, my 16" shoots great with factory ammo.
Colohunter

Postby rugger16 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:47 pm

I have the 20" as well, and my harris bi-pod fits fine on it.
rugger16

Return to AR15 Style Rifles