Different types of Hornady ammo?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Different types of Hornady ammo?

Postby Colohunter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Anybody know what the difference is between the two types of Hornady ammo for the 450? There is a guy selling some factory ammo on another forum, he said that one was marked FTX and the other SST/FTX.

I looked at Natchez' website and it shows two types of Hornady ammo for the 450. I can't really tell what is different about them, but one shows that it replaced the other. Should they work shoot to the same point of aim?
Colohunter

Re: Different types of Hornady ammo?

Postby MudBug » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:23 pm

hmmm, I didn't know they were different
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Colohunter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm

I don't know how they are different, I know Natchez has two numbers for the different types. The guy on the other forum wanted $35.00 for two boxes shipped. So for that price I will see how they work out. Ans that will put me up to 100 pieces of brass once I get to shoot them.
Colohunter

Postby Siringo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Originally when the ammo first came out it was loaded with the 45 caliber muzzle loading SST (super shock tip?) bullet. Hence the SST name. Hornady with their push to their FXT (flex tip) line just renamed it. Same bullet -- different packaging. By the way, the Thompson Center line w/the yellow tips is still a Hornady bullet. Wished we could buy those in bulk. Then we could use the color of the bullet tip to differentiate different loads.
Siringo

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:53 am

yep, SST and FTX have the same jacket construction, SST had a hard palstic tip, FTX has the spongey tip.

There was some chatter on one of the ML boards that the lead maybe be harder in the FTX, but I have noway to test it to be sure.
Al in Mi

Postby thatguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Al in Mi wrote:yep, SST and FTX have the same jacket construction, SST had a hard palstic tip, FTX has the spongey tip.

There was some chatter on one of the ML boards that the lead maybe be harder in the FTX, but I have noway to test it to be sure.

I wrote Hornday and asked because in one advertisement they called it FTX and in another advertisement they used SST - they replied they were one in the same.. It is also the same as the leverevolution bullet.

I dont know about the plastic vs spongey tip difference though..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Return to AR15 Style Rifles