Question on buffer an spring

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Question on buffer an spring

Postby gadgetguy1288 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 pm

So I ordered my new 450 bushmaster upper to go on my spikes lower, but I was wondering what kind of buffer you guys would reccommend.

I have a Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer on order, but will it function properly in with 450? or should I just try and find a normal carbine buffer to go on it?

How bout a buffer spring? Will a normal carbine buffer spring wirk or should I get a Heavy spring?

thanks guys
gadgetguy1288

Re: Question on buffer an spring

Postby Siringo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Welcome! I recommend using the heavy buffer -- H2 or H3 (spikes). The standard buffer weight in the A2 stock is around 5 oz. Stay around that weight. The heavier the buffer -- it will slow the action a bit without affecting the operation and providing gentler (if there is such a thing) chambering. Standard carbine spring is OK. Stay away from the 3 oz carbine buffers.

Also visit the "heavybuffers.com" web site.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Welcome, Welcome and believe me it will be great to hear about your journey into the underworld of Big-Bore.

Just for the record, the system was designed to use all the normal GI goodies. That's not to say you can't suped-up things and guys like Siringo should be heeded. Siringo is one of those kinda guys that has his hair on fire and ain't interested in no FireTruck..

The guys here are very respectful as they are helpful, so don't be afraid to step-up and ask or contribute, we're all learning..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Yep! AND you find that we are all Gentlemen here -- unlike some other sites.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:01 am

Siringo wrote:Yep! AND you find that we are all Gentlemen here -- unlike some other sites.

10x-yep, by none of this stupid Street Language or Personal Denigrations or Needless Attacks, we actually get allot of work done, having fun while doing it too, and the guys here, just like Siringo, are leaders in the real world, because of these standards, they bleed over into all you do in life and Col. Jeff Cooper would have been very proud to work here, you'll see. I believe in the years ahead, these guys and this standard, will become the giants in this Journey and hence the quoted Pros in this new endeavor,.."High Performance Big Bore".

BTW, let me speak to the idea that this is a New Endeavor. Consider..

During the Civil War all manor of Big Bores were in use. Indeed, modern warfare had just begun, with explosive timed artillery, hand grenades, and all manor of implements of destruction, being relatively new to the Armed Services in mass Attack. In fact the Ordnance was way ahead of Unit Tactics.

In our case the rifles were 58, 69, 72, and other calibers. The Engineers were ringing out all these Big Bores could give them in those days, but even before the end of the war, a trend was emerging to down size the calibers of the personal weapon and such rifles as the venerable 45-70 came forward in the waning days of that water shed event.

If my historical memory serves, the 45-70 was the first US metallic cartridge, which did serve towards the end of the Civil War, also serving at the end of the Great Buffalo culling, caliber sizes going down hill ever since, 30-40 Krag, 30-06, 7.62 NATO, 5.56, and experiments, with the eye on US adoption, of 17, 12, 10 caliber weapons.

It is my thesis here and in generalities, the great pool of knowledge for Big Bores ended pretty much, with the Civil War. There have been strides, as little as they are, with the modern 45-70 and cartridges such as the 458 Win-Mag, but only sparingly and then only in Bolt guns, for the most part, all never ringing out what was forgotten in the Civil War.

Then Necessity, being the Mother of invention, a young man was tired of shooting really Big Animals, in Alaska, in the Mountains, with his 30-06, and often having them run for 5-10 minutes before they died. Sometimes that amount of time meant that it could be a multi hour or day trek just to get to the fallen animal. So something had to be done, but none of the weapons available seemed to fit the bill. Thus the Modern, light weight, military hardened, reliable Big-Bore was invented. Since then, the science of Big-Bore semi autos have become the rage and is still in its infancy, but with your Professional Tutelage, we have and will yet, change the world.

So, keep your personal standards high, don't allow others to bring them down, maintain the high standards of this site, and you'll become the most Quoted group of Engineers, in firearms history, and the fact that you are so respectful to one another, will not be missed by the anyone looking at you and what you are writing and thinking about, just wait, you'll see..

Thanks MudBug for this opportunity..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 pm

wildcatter wrote:Thanks MudBug for this opportunity..t

Honestly I haven't had to do anything to keep it civil here other than watch my own temperament and language. Everyone else seems to do this same. We have also been luckily missed by trolls so far. My only policing duties have been killing spam and approving first posts.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby CorpDavid » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:35 pm

I purchased the Hydraulic Buffer from Bushmaster Firearms. I believe it does make a difference. I killed my first big Hog with it last weekend. :geek:
USMC Teufel Hunden 74 - 78
All Gave Some, Some Gave All
CorpDavid

Return to AR15 Style Rifles