Windham Weaponry is shipping product.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Windham Weaponry is shipping product.

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:14 pm

I shop CTD and have always received good products and service. I took a defensive handgun CQB course from the owner some time ago, and he is very accommodating. I wish they still gave the courses. Their store is amazing.

My only hang-up is that living in Texas, I incur sales tax, when I buy from them. That sometimes puts them at a price disadvantage by a little bit.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:23 pm

The main pet peeve I have is with the McKinney Store manager giving me lame BS excuses for not carrying 450 Bushmaster ammo and more recently, not carrying 6.5 Grendel ammo. While this particular store manager is obviously full of shyte, the store is accually very nice. And the store in Ft. Worth which is actually the home base, does carry more. I'm just not into driving an hour and a half to buy less than 500 bucks worth of anything.
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (32.38 KiB) Viewed 9374 times

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (31.53 KiB) Viewed 9374 times

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (34.68 KiB) Viewed 9374 times
Last edited by Texas Sheepdawg on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:25 pm

photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (32.33 KiB) Viewed 9374 times

photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (37.54 KiB) Viewed 9374 times

photo 6.JPG
photo 6.JPG (32.24 KiB) Viewed 9374 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:27 pm

photo 7.JPG
photo 7.JPG (32.69 KiB) Viewed 9374 times

photo 8.JPG
photo 8.JPG (34.24 KiB) Viewed 9374 times

photo 9.JPG
photo 9.JPG (32.92 KiB) Viewed 9374 times

They have some serious floor space dedicated to the AR platform.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:42 pm

Thank God they don't have anything like that up here. Me and my money are soon parted easily enough as it is.

BTW, the new RRA LAR-8 Predator HP, that I sold my .300 WSSM (OSSM) to partly fund, got it's barrel broken in yesterday and it's first at bat today with my reloads. Look at that 4th 100yd 5-shot group of Hornady 168gr Amax's! All four groups were the same powder charge, just different primers.

No special preparation other than tearing it down, degreasing and lubing with Weapons Shield and some strategically placed WS2 grease, followed by the typical shoot 1 clean 1 x10, followed by shoot 3 clean 1 x4. Uses a 20" Hbar profiled, Cryo'd, SS barrel. Definitely has potential. Love the RRA NM 2-Stage trigger. Best bang for the buck out there. My 450b has one as well. The weight is less than my 450b with my DIY interpretation of gunnut's recoil reducing stock, CCWS and Ross brake. Hoping Ross gets up and running in January as it needs the muzzle threaded and one of his brakes. Not that it kicks hard, but it does jump around a bit. Also, it suffers from an issue common to other .308 black rifles in that it is slightly over-gassed and leave ejector swipes on everything I've fed it so far, even tame 7.62x51 NATO. I'm uncertain whether I'll add a variable gas block or one of my CCWS mods to change the dwell slightly.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Okay...where are the other four shots on target #4...didn't your mama tell you not to fib? :D

I'd say you're off to a fairly good start there, Hootster!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Hoot, I went by there yesterday and walked out $50 bucks lighter. Bought a upper receiver holding tool for my vise and some picatinny covers for my YHM hand guard for the Grendel. Also nabbed a few catalogs to put in the office control room.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Colohunter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 am

Well Hoot, looks like it might be worth using CCI primers in that rifle...
Colohunter

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:37 pm

oops, dupe post.
Last edited by Hoot on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Colohunter wrote:Well Hoot, looks like it might be worth using CCI primers in that rifle...

Yeah, you'd think that, but they yielded the lowest velocity of the bunch and the barrel may just resonate at some frequency or harmonic thereof that the velocity agrees with. That's the theory behind OCW and OBT. I haven't run the algorithm to see what the next period is that corresponds to the next accuracy node upward in velocity. For what you can expect from a .308 caliber in a 20 inch barrel for that bullet weight, I'd wager somewhere around 200 fps faster than the 2622 fps average I got using the CCI primers will yield another sweet spot. The other three primers were almost exactly the same average velocity, though only 20-22 fps faster than the CCIs. That difference may have been great enough to move them slightly beyond the slower speed sweet spot, but nowhere near the next faster one.

That's a simplified explanation of one of the phenomena that correlate to accuracy, but certainly not the only one. About the time you think you have a handle on these factors, that's about the time an exception jumps up and bites you in the butt. The powder I was using may simply prefer a cooler primer in this caliber. Almost all of ATK's recipes for that powder are based upon the Federal 210, which is probably closer to the 210M than the CCI 200 in temperature. That's probably because they own Federal. Why promote your competition's primers?

So, the accuracy node may be there for the other three primers if I drop a few tenths of a grain in my powder charge to slow the bullet down to the speed the CCI 200 primers yielded. FWIW, their BR2 and BR4 are cooler than other Match/BR primers also. More to come from my next trip, though my obligations are beginning to stack up as the end to casual shooting weather looms closer every day. I'm supposed to be accurizing a Rem 700 for a co-worker, working up a 30-06 load using Speer 165 DeepCurls and H4350, work on my new toy and doing more experiments with the Barnes bullets for the 450b. The rifle range being closed for 3 weekends in a row, following some vicious hot weather has put me behind on this year's projects. Right now, the weather is near ideal, with clear skies and 70s all week, but I still work a full time job and a part time job. That and chores, car maintenance, family activities, yatta yatta, are in constant competition for my time. In a month or so, just after deer season, when the weather turns hostile until next May, I'll be climbing the walls from not being able to get my fix at the range. I'm not fond of shooting with numb fingers (Raynauds) and dressed like the Michelin Man. ;)

Sorry for sidetracking the discussion.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles