Muzzel Brakes to be tested.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Muzzel Brakes to be tested.

Postby gunnut » Wed May 19, 2010 11:42 pm

POF,6 port, 3 Chamber, 126 Dbc.
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Special Thanks to Bushmister for providing the Decibel meter! and pointing out in a previous post that brakes redirect energy.
gunnut

Postby BD1 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:13 am

Well, it doesn't look like the gentry brake is "quiet", or doing much for recoil reduction either. The Izzy looks good by comparison. Did anyone send a tank style brake?
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 am

Keep in mind how brakes do their magic. They really shine with loads that have a lot of their recoil generated by the exhaust gases escaping after the bullet has left the barrel. AKA Rocket Effect. They don't do diddly for loads where the lion's share of the recoil comes from accelerating heavy projectiles in a short period of time. Think of the 7mm RUM with as much powder crammed into it as the chamber will tolerate. Pushing a 140gr at 3,700 fps. Leaves the barrel with the pressure still building. Big candidate for a muzzle brake. Think of the 450b with its short stack of fast burning powder. Pushing the 250gr at 2,200 fps. Leaves the barrel with the pressure at or past peak. Probably not the best beneficiary of a brake. Think of Hoot, going on way too long about this point. Image
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby thebrassnuckles » Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am

can you put up pictures of each brake, along with the graph so we can see what brake it is that is being tested?

jesus.. thats my 4th request for pictures on this site... :oops:

i'm like a chile... pretty and shiney gets my attention.. :lol:
thebrassnuckles

Postby degoose » Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am

This is Awesome data!! Thanks to all those involved for putting this togeather... Gunny i'm still waiting on the BWA brake they assure me it should be ready any day now.. I'll send it off to ya once i recieve it
degoose

Postby madone » Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Was the "Ross" comp included in this test?
(as seen in this thread : http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=539 )
madone

Postby gunnut » Thu May 20, 2010 3:09 pm

No,We did not test a "Ross". But it is very similar to the POF 6 port that we did tested.Thanks to DeGoose. I would be glad to test any others.
gunnut

Postby MudBug » Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 pm

madone wrote:Was the "Ross" comp included in this test?
(as seen in this thread : http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=539 )

No and that's my fault. I screwed it up, but I will be sending it to be tested soon.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: Muzzle Brakes to be tested.

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Hey Guys, I used the Ross brake today and love it, I had him open it up to the BM spec's and that's it, I was going to time it and put a bit of a taper to it myself but after putting it on with my crush washer and giving it a go today I'm going to leave it just like it is.

I got a lot of people asking about it and the rifle, One guy to the left of me said "WOW, your break is working" Must have been the blast from the side?
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles