Ammo Availability Thread.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Ammo Availability Thread.

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard ipguy! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby rokdog013 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:47 am

Hello,
Planning to purchase a .450 BM by January. Plan to reload but want to use factory ammo until I get familiar with the gun and make sure its a good machine.Have been looking on the internet and it looks like ammo is really scarce. whats the deal?
rokdog013

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:03 am

rokdog013 wrote:Hello,
Planning to purchase a .450 BM by January. Plan to reload but want to use factory ammo until I get familiar with the gun and make sure its a good machine.Have been looking on the internet and it looks like ammo is really scarce. whats the deal?

This is the first time I have ever seen it this scarce on the net, but thankfully it is still plentiful at the shops near me. Welcome aboard rokdog013! :D Another member pointed out there is a bunch of ammo on gunbroker right now if anyone is in need. AlsoI saw some available from R&R on Ammoseek.
GB ammo
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby rokdog013 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:42 pm

thnanx man. I sent Bushmaster an email about warranty info and returns last night and got a reply back this morning. good good.
I used to own 2 Olyarms rifles. One was a K3B-M4-A3 i put over 5k rds. through that gun without so much as a hickup.
The other was a K-8 mag in .25 WSSM. When I purchased the gun I ordered 250 rds of ammo for it 120 grain I think. I went to load the ammo in the mag
and found that they were to long to fit in the mag. ------they were to long.------ I took the gun up to Olyarms since its not that far away and showed them what was going on. The took the ammo and the gun in the back to "test fire" it, came back and told me that there was nothing wrong with the
rifle /ammo combination and gave me a new mag since I had cut a notch into the front of the supplied mag just to get the rounds into it so I could shoot it.
I realized afterward that had I done my homework I could have caught this design bottleneck, had I been an experienced reloader...
But, I spent ALOT of money on that gun. really.... ALOT! And to have the guy at the counter "test fire" the same ammo that would not fit in the mag and come back out with a new mag like I was too stupid to figure it out and then tell me to seat the bullets farther into the casing was insulting.
I think they should have been a little more supportive about the design restrictions with the length of the bullet BEFORE somebody spends a buttload on a gun.
The American way is buyer beware and that is fair, but to act the way the Olyarms guy did was really amazing and is the sole reason why I sold BOTH guns and will never own another Olyarms weapon... ever. If I can help it I will try to make sure that whatever AR variant I own doesn't have any Olyarms manufactured pieces on it either.
rokdog013

Postby wildcatter » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:58 pm

I see the ammo all over the net, if you're looking. The 450b will never be like the socom/beowulf. But it's true we are done on availability a bit, but not to worry, I bought some fresh stuff from H today. It'll be soon and the market will flood again, just like it always does for us. In the mean time, it's not a problem to restock, as long as you've got a cell phone or the internet..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby rokdog013 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:32 pm

I'll buy as much as $$ allow's at first. then it's time to go through the learning process of reloading the .450 BM.. I'm hoping for some versatility.
I've read about how versatile the .458 SOCOM is and am hoping the manufactures start putting out frangible ammo for the .450, also.
rokdog013

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:07 pm

rokdog013 wrote:I'll buy as much as $$ allow's at first. then it's time to go through the learning process of reloading the .450 BM.. I'm hoping for some versatility.
I've read about how versatile the .458 SOCOM is and am hoping the manufactures start putting out frangible ammo for the .450, also.

Monolithic solids would be nice too!
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:57 pm

rokdog013 wrote:I'll buy as much as $$ allow's at first. then it's time to go through the learning process of reloading the .450 BM.. I'm hoping for some versatility.

Welcome to the friendliest gun forum on the net.

FYI..about the versatility of the socom. We can use every bullet the 458s uses, but they can not, with any reliability or accuracy, use our bullet choices and our .452 dia bullets are more plentiful with a larger selection and-and will satisfy any mission you choose. Lets face it, most of those 458 bullets are way too long for the available case volume of the socom. The performance, with those long bullets in the socom, are well into Diminished Returns, never really accomplishing the things we can and do, do, but we can use them!..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby rokdog013 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:22 pm

searching for .452 ammo.... ???? searching for .451 ammo..... LOTS. am I missing something basic here?
rokdog013

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:53 pm

rokdog013 wrote:searching for .452 ammo.... ???? searching for .451 ammo..... LOTS. am I missing something basic here?

Not quite sure what you are asking, but here's just "One" source, Midway, just for bullets. There are many custom loaders that will load all of these and all of the specialty bullets on the market, which are not included in the MidWay lineup. Custom loadings are what is being done for the socom and beowulf, because they are not SAMMI qualified, they are actually, by definition, Wildcats and all of their loads are only custom loaded. The 450b IS, S.A.M.M.I. qualified, and as such IS, by definition, a "Factory Round", with one loading from Hornady and many others in the works from them and two loadings about to be released from Remington. Allot of the other Major Ammunition Companies are jumping into the 450b, with all manor of wondrous loadings..

Bullets from MidWayUSA only..

.451 - 5 pages).. http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#.451%2 ... -4_8-16-32

.452 - 11 pages).. http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#.452%2 ... -4_8-16-32

.454 - 3 pages).. http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#.454%2 ... -4_8-16-32

.458 - 4 pages).. http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#.458%2 ... -4_8-16-32

.500 - 3.1 pages).. http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#.458%2 ... -4_8-16-32

So then, we have NINETEEN(19) pages of bullets, that we can directly put into our case and shoot them at will, whereas the .458 has only four pages of bullets available for it. Remember, this is just one source too and with a "Very" easy mod, we can use all of those .458 bullets, in the 450 Bushmaster

I hope this makes things more clear and in a better perspective. If not, then I'll just have to go to bed without dinner..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles