Limbsaver Recoil Pad Caveat

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Limbsaver Recoil Pad Caveat

Postby MudBug » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Mine is a grind-to-fit limbsaver (though I really didn't have to grind much) on a chopped cav arms lower.

It is glued (epoxy) and screwed in place.

If you feel you need something more for the recoil pad to rest against just shape a chunk of wood to fit in the back and glue it in place.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:33 pm

bushmeister wrote:I've seen them, and they are not the same thing. In fact I have one on my old pump 12ga. It helps a little, but it's no Limbsaver. I think I can get the fit type Limbsaver for $27 locally. I'll check tomorrow.

Is the camo version identical to the black quality wise? Saw a good price on one. Something like $26.00 shipped. Everyone agree the medium offers the best fit/function, because I saw an even better deal on a small sized one? I suddenly like the idea of easier access to the trap door and the weight tube behind it for testing, despite accommodating the sling mount. It's hard to look at my spring-weight contraption and not laugh after the last episode of SNL. :lol:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 pm

bushmeister wrote:I've seen them, and they are not the same thing. In fact I have one on my old pump 12ga. It helps a little, but it's no limbsaver. I think I can get the fit type limbsaver for $27 locally. I'll check tomorrow.

I'm thinking that you haven't seen what I just bought from Walmart. It sure looks like the real deal. Feels like it too. The medium is a great fit on my A2 stock and for only $19.95. You be the judge...

Here's what I bought

Here's what it looks like

From the back of the package

From the Sims web page
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm

You are correct. That is not what I had seen. The previous winchester brand slip ons had a honeycomb cushion and did not say limbsaver anywhere on it. I stand corrected. Good find!
bushmeister

Postby dantheman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:51 am

MudBug wrote:Mine is a grind-to-fit limbsaver (though I really didn't have to grind much) on a chopped cav arms lower.

It is glued (epoxy) and screwed in place.

If you feel you need something more for the recoil pad to rest against just shape a chunk of wood to fit in the back and glue it in place.

I'm going to install a Cav Arms C1 on my 450 Bushmaster. I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you could repost the picture as it doesn't come up anymore. I was looking at the Kick Eez but if the Limbsaver is easier, I'd consider it.

How has the stock, recoil pad combo held up over the years.

Thanks

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:27 am

Getting images posted to online storage is always a test of time. Many free hosting sites allow your images to expire if they are not viewed often enough. The other challenge in longevity is having them hosted with your ISP and then changing ISP's like I did. Found the original images rescued from my old ISP and re-hosted them.

For the record, my Winchester/SIMS slip on pad looks almost as good after 3k of tough rounds as it did when I bought it. Works just as well also.

Hoot

EDIT: Walmart still sells them as of 11/6/16 at half the price they list for on the SIMS web page!

Hoot

Postby dantheman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:51 pm

I think I might try one of these. They're supposed to screw right on.

I'm sure there's some tinkering to be done as there seems to be with any stock modification.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Cutright » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Dan, how did that recoil pad work for you? I was just looking at them. I currently have the Simms slip on, but have been having trouble with it falling off while hunting. Is there a good way to secure these pads or is the screw in Kickeez the way to go?
Cutright

Postby dantheman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:24 am

The recoil pad looks really great. There was a bit of work getting it right though. It's not just a screw it on affair as Kickeez says it is. Of course I reckoned this after I read the reviews of the recoil pad on MidwayUSA's website (they stopped carrying it).

I had to grind the end of the buffer tube a bit so the pad would fit flush. Then I also ground down an A2 buttplate and screwed and epoxied it to the back of the recoil pad so it would fit inside the stock and give the pad more lateral stability. I also had to do some work modifying a top screw and shortening the bottom screw.

The pad is just a tad shy at the toe of the stock on either side by no more than an eighth of an inch (if you look carefully at Kickeez's photo that I posted you'll see that). The pad is proud on either side by an eighth of an inch on either side towards the center of the stock, not the full length.

I have to open a photo account so I can post pictures. I'm not going to grind anything down because it doesn't bother me at all and is barely noticeable.

The sorbothane pad is really soft on one's shoulder. When I shoot the rifle all I feel is muzzle lift.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Cutright wrote:Dan, how did that recoil pad work for you? I was just looking at them. I currently have the Simms slip on, but have been having trouble with it falling off while hunting. Is there a good way to secure these pads or is the screw in Kickeez the way to go?

Seeing Dan's post reminded me that I was going to wade in on your falling off issue.

You didn't say what kind of stock you have, IE A1/A2 or telescopic and telescopic stocks come in a lot of different form factors to boot.
The slip on pads come in four sizes. Did you get one that was too big for your style of stock? I have to wrestle with the one on my A1 stock to even get it off when I want it off.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles