PMAG ??

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: PMAG ??

Postby thebrassnuckles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm

BayouBob wrote:It looks like the original Bushmaster concept of putting a single shot follower on top of the standard follower was a tempory solution until they found out if the cartridge would sell. Now that that question is answered maybe Bushmaster/Remington will design an anti-tilt follower with the right radius for the cartridge and eliminate the grinding etc. people are doing to make .223 followers work.

from what i found, the anti-tilt followers are a no go. the follower follows the curvature of the magazine while the cartridges want to be more straight.
thebrassnuckles

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:06 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:can you get a neasurement on the width of the front half of the feed lips?

i posted some pics in the magazines thread of my findings with different hold the cafollowers, i will pull apart the factory mag and use that follower with a gi mag to see if there are any problems with it. i seem to recall there being somethin funny about it last time i did it.. but i'll be damned if i can remember.

I can't just now but just take them down enough to just meet the cartridge body, doesn't have to be too exact, just enough to hold the cartridge down a little better, say .015 to .020" thou..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BayouBob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Siringo wrote:BB -- If I recall correctly, there have been posts of the new Bushmaster Mag. They have made a dedicated follower -- although I do not know if it is for sale individually or has to be a complete mag.

That would explain why Bushlmaster went from "not available" to "on clearance" for their blue single shot followers.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby talonxracer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 pm

A buddy had a Pmag for me to try, with some very carefull trimming, I could get the factory fodder to run nicely. I did this as I also have a few boxs of 250 grain XTP mag bullets and just wanted to see what length's would fit . These neutered factory rounds were fine at 100yds as far as accuracy goes, I didnt try them out any further.

talonxracer

Postby Siringo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 pm

I had found that the modified bullet noses really pounded the rib on the magazine to the point that the follower would hang up. Best way is to remove the rib.
Siringo

Postby talonxracer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:27 pm

I can see that happening, I only shot a limited amount of rounds from the pmag. The edges of the bullet are rather sharp with the tip cut off.
talonxracer

Postby Siringo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:24 pm

I originally was using the Hornady 240 gr XTP mags. There OAL is short enough to work in the mag without removing the rib. However, the rib was getting beat up from the step on the follower. Beat a divot in the rib. This was caused by the recoil and the cartridge moving forward as the gun moved back. SOOOO -- remove the rib, put in the nylon screws and then you a great mag.
Siringo

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles