PMAG ??

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

PMAG ??

Postby BayouBob » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:38 am

I thought one of you had a picture of your 450 using a PMAG. Was I dreaming? How did you make it work with the follower guide on the front wall of the mag?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Re: PMAG ??

Postby Siringo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 am

Go to the Forum Index. Under AR15 Rifles, look for a thread called "Magazines?". See page 3. There is a picture of my modified follower. Note that I did remove the internal rib in the magazine body.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:44 am

Siringo wrote:Go to the Forum Index. Under AR15 Rifles, look for a thread called "Magazines?". See page 3. There is a picture of my modified follower. Note that I did remove the internal rib in the magazine body.

I forgot about that picture. Some of these guys have been flirting all around what to do about a Hy-Cap mag. If you could get some better pics of yours, from say the top, looking down and any other view to make it perfectly clear how to do the mod, then with a little tunking down on the forward half of the feed lips and a slight 3/8th radius on the front of the mag, theses guys would get a cheap,easy method to 12 rounds in a GI Mag. Thanks Bud..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:22 pm

I will post soon. 8 rounds is all you can do in a 20 rounder. The 30 round Pmag did not work. Use the Sig instead.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Siringo wrote:I will post soon. 8 rounds is all you can do in a 20 rounder. The 30 round Pmag did not work. Use the Sig instead.

Auhh, but the modified follower is what I'm getting at. If you mod a GI follower with a 1/2 inch radius, as you have done, the 30 round GI Mags will hold at least 12.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BayouBob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 am

It looks like the original Bushmaster concept of putting a single shot follower on top of the standard follower was a tempory solution until they found out if the cartridge would sell. Now that that question is answered maybe Bushmaster/Remington will design an anti-tilt follower with the right radius for the cartridge and eliminate the grinding etc. people are doing to make .223 followers work.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Siringo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 am

BB -- If I recall correctly, there have been posts of the new Bushmaster Mag. They have made a dedicated follower -- although I do not know if it is for sale individually or has to be a complete mag.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:37 am

Siringo wrote:BB -- If I recall correctly, there have been posts of the new Bushmaster Mag. They have made a dedicated follower -- although I do not know if it is for sale individually or has to be a complete mag.

Correct on both counts. They are now using a dedicated follower and no they are not selling them yet, but that was about six months ago. I've got to call them today, I'll find out if they are for sale yet. If they are, I'll get a shoe box full of them at my price and shotgun them out to ya all. You'll still need to drop the front of the GI mag about 3/16 inch with a 3/8 radius, using either a Dremel tool or a rat-tail file and you'll need to tonk slightly down the front half of the feed lips. Keep in mind, it really is very easy to mod the existing GI, no-tilt follower to a 1/2 inch radius.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Yup, I can get the new Bushy follower, but I wont have a price until maybe tomorrow. The sides might still need a little messaging, but if you don't want to mod the GI follower, then..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby thebrassnuckles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm

can you get a neasurement on the width of the front half of the feed lips?

i posted some pics in the magazines thread of my findings with different followers, i will pull apart the factory mag and use that follower with a gi mag to see if there are any problems with it. i seem to recall there being somethin funny about it last time i did it.. but i'll be damned if i can remember.
thebrassnuckles

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles