Overgassing?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Overgassing?

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:11 am

I noticed almost all my brass goes forward. What is the best/easiest cure for this? Maybe this is contributing to my jamming problems too. Thanks in advance.
Jim
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Re: Overgassing?

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:14 am

Yep...your brass should be landing in the "3:00 - 4:30" area if all is well with the timing. You might need to install one of Hoot's CCWS weights? I did that to mine, and it works exactly as advertized. I'm sure others here know all about this problem.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Could be overgassed or the lube you are using is the best in the world, could be allot of things. My thought is, .."is the weapon otherwise working"? If it is and there are no other ancillary problems, you really, at that point, don't need to be looking for a cure to a problem, that doesn't exists. Of course, you allude to jamming issues, that may be an ancillary problem.

I assume you are properly lubing the rifle, but are still jamming the weapon. How often does that occur and tell me about your lubing practices?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 pm

I clean the gun completely with Gun Scrubber, brushes, pipe cleaners, etc. I use break Free CLP as a lube and leave the bolt "wet". I have lubed the spring in the stock and always put a little on the moving parts of the trigger group.
I get stove pipes with the empty case getting trapped by the next round with every mag I use which includes three 5 rounders from Bushmaster and a 9 round Stoner. I just modified a SIG mag. to make it NY legal by installing a 450 follower from one of the other mags and blocking it to only hold 10 rounds. Haven't shot it yet though. I also have modified one of the 5 rounders the way Hoot described in another post by cutting a few loops off the spring. Hopefully that will work. Usually I get 3 rounds off before it jams. I love the gun but it's getting frustrating getting it to be reliable. All the help I'm gettibg here is great and I thank everyone.
Jim
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:14 am

Jeepejeep wrote:I get stove pipes with the empty case getting trapped by the next round with every mag I use

There is more information on this topic here - http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=741&p=14380&hilit=jamming+stovepipe#p14380 - and here - http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1523&hilit=jamming+stovepipe - and here - http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5024&hilit=jamming+stovepipe. I think there is at least one other thread as well. Search failure to eject, extract, jamming, and similar issues.

I initially had the same problem (as you will see from my posts in the above links). Many people go through a lot of agony measuring and ajusting the magazines. However, after running 100 or so rounds through my three mags, they seemed to "run-in" and I haven't had a repeat of these initial jams.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Jeepejeep » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:57 am

Thanks, Jim. I've read those posts (one of them is a thread started by me) and I have performed the suggested corrections as I said but haven't been back to the range to try it out again. Hopefully the jams will stop but I was wondering about the ejection to the 2:00 position mostly. I really doesn't bother me that much as long as the gun is reliable and ejects properly every round.
Jim
Jeepejeep

Postby Jeepejeep » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Finally! I got to shoot the 450 today after modifying 2 of the Bushmaster SS 5 rounders. I tightened the mag lips and shortened the springs a few coils. I only shot 20 rounds but it was flawless. The brass still goes slightly forward but as long as it's accurate and reliable that's all I need. Thanks for everyone's help.
Jim
Jeepejeep

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Huzzah...and the peasants rejoiced! :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Colohunter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:20 am

Excellent, glad to hear you got it running. There are few things more frustrating than an AR not working properly.
Colohunter

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:49 am

Boy, howdy!! Just ask any Vietnam vet... :(
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Return to AR15 Style Rifles