Loose barrel nut?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Loose barrel nut?

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:30 pm

I noticed my barrel was loose today on my 450 while I was at the range. Has anyone else had this happen?
Stealthshooter

Re: Loose barrel nut?

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I noticed my barrel was loose today on my 450 while I was at the range. Has anyone else had this happen?

Oops, mechanical machines, have things, happen to them, no way around it. I've never heard of your dilemma, but hey, I have now.

You've got to do one of two things. But first, take the hand guard off and make sure that the barrel nut is indeed loose. If it is loose you either need to send it back or fix it yourself, which is pretty easy really and many here can walk you through it if you need it, but either way you need to give Bushy a call, as they will want to know about it so they can jump on the QA folks.

The below URL is not your exact system, but it will give you the idea of what you need to do..

..t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUtg_sUsA0

OR - this is your system, but less detail..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryr0wZ71Hg&NR=1
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks WC I need it for my upcoming elk hunt so I quickly made a wrench to tighten the nut and I'm going to head out in the morning to check my zero. I hope it wasn't a bad thing that I added just a dab of blue locktite before I snugged it down. I just didn't want the same thing to happen again.

Here is the wrench I built.
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Thanks WC I need it for my upcoming elk hunt so I quickly made a wrench to tighten the nut and I'm going to head out in the morning to check my zero. I hope it wasn't a bad thing that I added just a dab of blue locktite before I snugged it down. I just didn't want the same thing to happen again.

Here is the wrench I built.
[ http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab278/shayn8103/IMG_20111018_140608.jpg ]

Great Job!! I Blue won't hurt a thing and I use it myself from time to time. It makes me feel good anyways, even if it isn't really needed..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby hogbuster » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Reference the loose barrel nut: Do you have any idea of how many rounds you have put through your rifle prior to this, or how long have you had the rifle ? I ask because i have a new upper and have probably put about 30 rounds through it so far, and was wondering if I should have a gun smith check it. Thank you "Hogman"
hogbuster

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 am

Torque specs are 35-40 FtLbs according to Bushmaster instructional video. Just be sure you get it lined up so gas tube passes easily. The best barrel nut wrench I have found was at MidwayUSA.
PRI barrel nut wrench AR15 stock# 123-930 for $21.99. It's super beefy and has 5 pins and can be chucked to a 3/8"- 1/2" wrench. I used mine just a few days ago on my medium heavy 6.5 Grendel barrel.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:02 pm

hogbuster wrote:Reference the loose barrel nut: Do you have any idea of how many rounds you have put through your rifle prior to this, or how long have you had the rifle ? I ask because i have a new upper and have probably put about 30 rounds through it so far, and was wondering if I should have a gun smith check it. Thank you "Hogman"

I have a feeling it was a fluke but I had around 300 rounds through her.
Stealthshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Hmmm...maybe you should try briefs instead of boxers? :mrgreen:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:33 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Hmmm...maybe you should try briefs instead of boxers? :mrgreen:

You may have an Idea LOL

After putting my rifle back together I went to check my zero and it was off. I ended up using the last of my SST's doing this. I had to resort to loading up my 300 grain Parker hydracons that I have not previously shot............................To my pleasure they shoot right with my SST loads and their accuracy is great! Within a couple shots I had it dialed in and whacking bowling pins at 300 yards!! Bring on the Elk!!
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:29 am

Stealthshooter wrote:
commander faschisto wrote:Hmmm...maybe you should try briefs instead of boxers? :mrgreen:

You may have an Idea LOL

After putting my rifle back together I went to check my zero and it was off. I ended up using the last of my SST's doing this. I had to resort to loading up my 300 grain Parker hydracons that I have not previously shot............................To my pleasure they shoot right with my SST loads and their accuracy is great! Within a couple shots I had it dialed in and whacking bowling pins at 300 yards!! Bring on the Elk!!

Are you guys getting this yet?

If you know the range (can you spell lasers), you can decide any issue, generally speaking, out to 450yds++.

Again, this year (Two years in a row), I have a creditable report of a black bear being shot though and through, the lungs broad-side, at more 600yds (20" 450b, 240gr Hornady XTP Mags, at MV's of 2550fps). With our caliber and bullet choices, blood trails on both side of the animal are tremendous, assuming you need a blood trail (yeah right) and the animal just doesn't fall, smack in it's tracks, as is typical.

Now personally, I have a problem at shooting past ranges, wherein the bullets transition to subsonic (because the bullet , at that point, goes kitty-wampous for a short distance, before straightening out again, at that point the bullet might be traveling in a direction not wanted). You still have enough Terminal Ballistics to kill, just about everything, at 600yds+, but hitting the target can be problematical or worst, you could wound the animal. Keep that subsonic thing in mind.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles