Piston Driven System

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Piston Driven System

Postby Ughh61 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:27 am

has any one tried to use the Piston Driven System on the 450b yet
Ughh61

Re: Piston Driven System

Postby ryr8828 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I don't understand the fascination with piston ar's unless a guy wants a folding stock. I have a piston rifle, it's called an ak.

I know this isn't what you asked but it will keep conversation flowing maybe, there's not enough of that here.
ryr8828

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:12 pm

ryr8828 wrote:I don't understand the fascination with piston ar's unless a guy wants a folding stock. I have a piston rifle, it's called an ak.

I know this isn't what you asked but it will keep conversation flowing maybe, there's not enough of that here.

It's cause the conversations here are very respectful and to the point.

Also, 10-4 on the fascination thing. I am not convinced about pistons at all. I've been building them longer than just about everybody else and their only role in my opinion, is to reduce the heat transfer in Full-Auto Mode. Otherwise, they cause undue strain and wear and tear, on the charging handle and the carrier key system. The direct impingement is a tried and proven Combat System, you just got to keep it clean, so what.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 pm

i had been doing a bit of research on piston systems looking for ultimate reliability right up until my best friend returned from iraq. i asked him about his M4 and how reliable it was. he said he fired over 10000 rounds through his weapon in 6 months, 1/3 of which in FA, and never cleaned it. guess how many malfunctions he had... thats right ZERO...
but man... a sweet folding stock SBR would be tasty.... :twisted:
thebrassnuckles

Postby HillBilly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:25 pm

wildcatter wrote:
ryr8828 wrote:I don't understand the fascination with piston ar's unless a guy wants a folding stock. I have a piston rifle, it's called an ak.

It's cause the conversations here are very respectful and to the point.

Also, 10-4 on the fascination thing. I am not convinced about pistons at all. I've been building them longer than just about everybody else and their only role in my opinion, is to reduce the heat transfer in Full-Auto Mode. Otherwise, they cause undue strain and wear and tear, on the charging handle and the carrier key system. The direct impingement is a tried and proven Combat System, you just got to keep it clean, so what.

..t

Well said... This "piston system awe" strikes me as a sandpit comando revival of the "Rhino Op Rod Kit" in the late 80's early 90's. I had the chance to run a few K rounds through some of the "new" systems prior to being available... If I'm pounding the snot out of the shorty 16's its ok but, I'll take a tube gun anyday...
If you build it they will come, If I build it... I'll take the damn thing home!
HillBilly

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Yeah, and the Rhino Guys looked at what I was doing and thought they could do better, does the sound like the 458/50 guys with their other big-bores? Anyway, I've done the AK and FAL systems, using their parts and still am not convinced, but, if ya likes'em, use'em, they work pretty good..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Ughh61 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. was just thinking if it was better because the gases dumping where it does for a cleaner op

thanks again
Ughh61

Postby talonxracer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:32 pm

When I talked to Bushmaster, the tech guy told me they had tried their pushrod conversion kit and they didnt have positive results with the 450, so they dont recommend them with the 450.
talonxracer

Return to AR15 Style Rifles