Breaking in the barrel

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Breaking in the barrel

Postby nfldraftdog » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Went out today to attempt to break in the barrel on my brand new Bushmaster 450. I shot about 7 rounds through it and then went to cleaning the copper fouling out. The good thing is that it wasn't copper fouled. So I fired about another 15 more rounds through it and went home to clean it and it still wasn't copper fouled. I am thinking the chrome plated barrel kept the copper from collecting. The quality Hornady ammo probably helped also. I also fired some rounds from my new Browning X-Bolt 30-6 and it was heavily copper fouled. The owner of AR Performance contends that chrome lined barrels don't need to be broken in and it seems he is correct. Has anyone else noticed this?
nfldraftdog

Re: Breaking in the barrel

Postby Siringo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:15 pm

I didn't do mine. In fact I have never done a break in routine with any rifle. This whole thing drives me nuts. With all the quality barrels being produced in todays market ---?????##$%$@@! One would seem to think that the barrel manufactures produce an inferior product to those 30,40 or 50 years ago.

The only serious copper fouling I had was when I experimented with Barnes Muzzleloader bullets. They were bad. All other bullets including the Barnes 275 gr., shoot clean.
Siringo

Postby talonxracer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:16 pm

I have not seen a need to break-in a chromelined barrel, but the action usually does require some attention. I like to take some JB paste and apply a little to the bolt and rails of the receiver and then hand cycle the action about 40-50 times and then completely clean it out before firing my first round through a new upper. Every AR that I have used this procedure on works fantastic from the first shot.
talonxracer

Postby nfldraftdog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:52 am

What does the JB Paste do and how exactly do you hand cycle the rifle. Do you just pull back on the charging handle a bunch of times?
nfldraftdog

Postby BD1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 am

Everything I've read on " breaking in" chrome lined bores involves cleaning the gun, then firing 200 rounds of jacketed before cleaning it the second time. I applied tghis technigue to my .450 and after that I get no fouling, copper or lead.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby talonxracer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:22 am

nfldraftdog wrote:What does the JB Paste do and how exactly do you hand cycle the rifle. Do you just pull back on the charging handle a bunch of times?

The JB paste is usually used to "polish" the bore of a precision rifle barrel during break-in, basically hand-lapping. What it does on the action is to smooth out the parkerizing quicker and lapps the locking lugs for a smooth lockup. My .450 was very stiff prior to this hand work and gritty feeling when cycling the action, after the JB paste it was silky smooth. Also I do not use straight JB paste, but a slurry of paste and a little light machine oil. And yes cycling the action is simply pulling the charging handle back and forth, I didnt lock the bolt back and let it fly at first, but finished by letting it fly forward. Also prior to cycling the action I also hand rubbed some of the slurry on the bottom of the bolt where the hammer rides. Every AR that I have ever owned(except the first one), I have followed this procedure. That first AR took at least hundred rounds to get to the point of silky smooth whereas the hand work made every AR after that one silky smooth from the first shot.
talonxracer

Postby kahilrodgers32 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Hey I bought a Quad rail for the remington 45o bushmaster and I can't figure out how to the metal part around the barrel of the put on the quad rail. How do I get it off?
kahilrodgers32

Postby kahilrodgers32 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 pm

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... /photo.jpg

I need to know if you can put a quad rail on this gun. Its a 450 remington bushmaster
kahilrodgers32

Postby wildcatter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 am

kahilrodgers32 wrote:Hey I bought a Quad rail for the remington 45o bushmaster and I can't figure out how to the metal part around the barrel of the put on the quad rail. How do I get it off?

If know-one has welcomed you, WELCOME ABOARD!!

Pull up a stump, warm yourself by the fire and someone will be along with the Somemores.

To remove your handguards try this in reverse.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryr0wZ71Hg .. use a Strap Wrench if you need to.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5AyJEQ0 ... re=related ..OR try this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0-z7urH3g

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the Hy-Jack guys..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:06 am

In the FAQ section of the Bushmaster website they indicate the the chrome lined barrels require no break-in. Here is the quote and its reference:

Question / Issue

What is the proper "break-in" procedure for a chrome lined AR barrel?

Answer / Solution

After firing a couple hundred rounds, the chrome lining will "polish out" from its light, flat gray, factory-new look to a brightly reflective, polished appearance. During this break-in period, excessive cleaning with solvent or brush should be avoided as that will only prolong the time (and number of rounds) it takes to achieve the final "bullet polishing" of the barrel.

Direct Link to This FAQ

http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/?f=23
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles