New Member, short barrel questions!

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Member, short barrel questions!

Postby BillytheKid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes, though I think you also need to change out the buffer tube to match the stock you want.

Although, I have often wondered if one could just put a crutch tip on the end of the pistol buffer to make it a bullpup design?

Just a thought.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:28 pm

There are BATF rules (who knew!) regarding converting a firearm sold as a rifle to a pistol - and maybe vice versa. There was a recent item in Gun Reports along those lines, I think. Check to see if your receiver is stamped to indicate its intended use, before you convert from a rifle to a pistol.

Maybe someone else has more or better info on this.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BillytheKid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:45 pm

The last I read, BTAF decided that a pistol could be converted to a rifle using an actual "conversion kit" and back again without any issues.

For example, a .45ACP pistol could be converted to a rifle using the MechTech systems kit, and then back to a pistol without any issues.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Colohunter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 pm

You can go from pistol to rifle, but you can never start with a rifle and go to pistol.

As far as the crutch idea, I have seen pictures of rubber end caps on pistol tubs, I believe the pistol tube that Model 1 Sales offers has a foam wrap around it. You would then have to switch out the buffer tube when your stamp and stock arrive, but that isn't a real big deal. Especially if you installed the pistol tube and didn't stake it. I don't think I would want to use a regular buffer tube that could accept a stock on a pistol build as it might appear that have it set up as a rifle rather than a pistol.
Colohunter

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles