Wow, why didnt I buy this sooner...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Wow, why didnt I buy this sooner...

Postby ag04blast » Mon May 17, 2010 7:55 am

I finally got out to shoot my 16inch Bushy upper that I bought during the tax sale. I put her with a Spikes lower, ergo grip, DD parts kits, and ACE stock, topped with the Burris PEPR holding a Burris Fullfield II.

Shooting the Hornady ammo, I was surprised with the consistency and accuracy. Went through two boxes and have the sore shoulder to prove it, 450Bushy is a beast. At 50 and 100yrds I was able to keep the groups touching.

This is going to become my go-to hunting rifle, I am headed out west to do some hog hunting this coming weekend and cant wait. I am sold on the 450 Bushy, the only thing I want to change is get a real brake.

I honestly havent been this excited about a firearm purchase since I bought my first AR15 years ago.
ag04blast

Re: Wow, why didnt I buy this sooner...

Postby bushmeister » Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 am

Glad you finally got to shoot it. It is a hoot isn't it? FYI we will be testing a few of the brakes available tomorrow, so you might want to wait to see that data before buying. I also suspect we'll get to test a recoil reducing stock as well. :mrgreen:
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Mon May 17, 2010 11:13 am

If you've ever shot a 7.62x51 NATO round through a semiauto battle rifle (FAL / G3 / M14 / etc) and remember how gentle that was on the shoulder, then you have felt how gentle the Bushy can be when outfitted with a recoil pad, A2 stock with spring weight, weighted bolt carrier and real muzzle brake. No need to have a sore shoulder or cheek. I was at the range yesterday and let a 10 year old boy who couldn't have weighed 90 lbs soaking wet shoot mine off of a benchrest front and rear bag. Despite being scared, he touched one off, looked up and said "Is that it?". I've put 60 rounds through mine, pausing only to clean a couple times and could have shot it as long as I wanted if I had the ammo that day and I'm no tough guy. I hate punishing magnums. I even hate featherweight .270s. There are solutions.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby talonxracer » Mon May 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Glad you like the weapon!

I have the ACE Skeleton rifle length stock with the thicker butt pad, Wolf xtra power buffer spring, MGI rate reducer and JP/Ben Cooley tactical comp, and she is a pussy cat. About like my 870 Wingmaster with 2 3/4" field loads on a modified choke. You can shoot both all day long, the comp does increase the report to the shooter a slight bit, but those off to the side will hate you! LOL
talonxracer

Postby BayouBob » Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Just the Sims slip on pad makes the recoil on my 20 inch 450 negligible. I needed it for the extra pull length since I'm 6'4" and built like an orangutan so it might not work for everyone.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BayouBob » Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 am

Another solution for recoil is to wear a PAST pad at the range. You won't notice the recoil hunting if your body isn't conditioned to anticipate it and the PAST pad will prevent that.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby ag04blast » Tue May 18, 2010 7:01 am

My initial trip out was with a lower I scavenged off another rifle with a standard A2 stock, it was the hard plastic buttpad of that stock what bruised my shoulder. I just put together a new lower this weekend which is using the ACE stock w/ 1/2 in pad and a wolf extra power spring. I will see how that goes this weekend. I am waiting on the results of the new brake thats are starting to surface.
ag04blast

Return to AR15 Style Rifles