Extractors

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Extractors

Postby Skeeter58 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 am

I was out at the range last weekend trying out some of my 325 grain cast bullets and managed to break my extractor. I don't know how I did it but I did. I have put about 100 rounds total through this rifle since I purchased it. The only thing I can think of that may have attributed to the problem was I dropped a single round in the chamber and then released the bolt. Have any of you folks had extractor problems?
Skeeter
Skeeter58

Re: Extractors

Postby Hoot » Tue May 25, 2010 8:24 am

Yeah, putting a round in the chamber and dropping the bolt is a coin toss that can work or not. I'd say you lost the toss. The design intends the cartridge to be stripped from the mag and seat in the bolt on the way forward, before it engages the locking lugs in the barrel extension. You can order a new extractor from any number of places. They run from about $12 to $20 for the chromed one. That's for a 5.56 one. In the case of a 7.62x39 bolt, I'm not sure if they are the same extractor. Google time...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sat May 29, 2010 11:39 am

I too was dropping the bolt on hand Fed rounds, I believe thats what contributed to my broken extractor, Lesson learned the hard way.

My big questions that I can not seem to find an answer to is " Is the 7.62x39 extractor the same? " or will it work?

BM IS sending me a new one, But I would like to have extras, Not that I plan on dropping the bolt on a round again, I always get extras of things i break even if it's only a one time occurrence.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby wildcatter » Sat May 29, 2010 11:49 am

oldmanjeffers wrote:I too was dropping the bolt on hand Fed rounds, I believe thats what contributed to my broken extractor, Lesson learned the hard way.

My big questions that I can not seem to find an answer to is " Is the 7.62x39 extractor the same? " or will it work?

BM IS sending me a new one, But I would like to have extras, Not that I plan on dropping the bolt on a round again, I always get extras of things i break even if it's only a one time occurrence.

They shore do. The 7.62x39 extractors work, but just barely. If you gently close the bolt on our cartridge, the forward assist takes some "Real" boosting to get that extractor to jump over the rim. Remember the Russian has a rim of .444", where-as ours is at .473". If you do use one, make sure that you close the bolt Briskly as normal, let it slam closed and don't help it down at all, otherwise they function very well..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you wildcatter!

I'll pick a few up and give them a go.
oldmanjeffers

Postby Hoot » Sat May 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Since you're going to have it out anyway. Polish the leading edge of the extractor on a buffing wheel. That is to say, the part where it strikes the cartridge rim before deflecting and sliding over the edge. Do not mistake polish for the words sand, grind or file. Properly done, a quick burst on a loaded buffing wheel will remove almost no metal while producing a slippery, mirror finish, hence minimal loss of strength. They're quite easy to hang onto while addressing the wheel. You will lose the blackening finish on that small leading edge, but it is a part that spends most of it's life with some oil on it, so NBD.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby oldmanjeffers » Sat May 29, 2010 10:58 pm

Great Idea Hoot, Thanks
oldmanjeffers

Return to AR15 Style Rifles