Intro + Time to get Thumpin!

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Intro + Time to get Thumpin!

Postby AR167 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi guys,

First post!

Been a big fan of the Ar platform for years, now it's time to feed myself with it. :D

Just picked up a 16" 450 upper at a recent gunshow, I think I'm going to like it. Range day is tomorrow. Thanks for all of the innovative posts, I've learned a lot by reading them and hope to contribute soon!

BTW,The Pepr mounts are great! Image Image Image
AR167

Re: Intro + Time to get Thumpin!

Postby talonxracer » Thu May 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Welcome to 450B and have alot of big bore fun at the range!
talonxracer

Postby MudBug » Thu May 27, 2010 7:58 pm

BOOM!
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Hoot » Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 pm

FWIW. I just got home from the range with mine. I have it outfitted with 4 kinds of recoil reduction. If you don't like the recoil, there are some options out there. There was a member at the range (a chiropractor actually) this afternoon with a Hungarian SA-85, AK variant and he was interested in the 450b, so I let him shoot it. Per his observation, not mine, he said it kicked less objectionably than his SA-85. That's how good it can be made to behave. I've read posts of fellows who said a box of 20 rounds was about it for a single setting for them. With the recoil abatement add-ons that are available, it can be made to where you could shoot it all day without any discomfort. See what your experience feels like. They're a lot of fun.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby NordicRX8 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 am

Hoot wrote:I've read posts of fellows who said a box of 20 rounds was about it for a single setting for them.

After shooting one magazine full (5 rounds) of 300gr XTP/MAG handloads (near max Hornady published load data), the factory fodder was a pleasure to shoot. Good thing I only loaded up 10 of them and had two volunteers to help use the remaining rounds. :lol:

AR167:
First... WELCOME to the FORUMS
Secondly, Enjoy your new 450... by looking at your setup, that scope looks like it sits in a position setup for shooting .223s. Fair warning, the .450 kicks a little more... beware of scope eye! :o I'd recommend a scope designed for longer eye relief like the types made for slug guns or muzzleloaders.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby AR167 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 am

that scope looks like it sits in a position setup for shooting .223s. Fair warning, the .450 kicks a little more... beware of scope eye! :o I'd recommend a scope designed for longer eye relief like the types made for slug guns or muzzleloaders.

I tried to compare the eye relief to my Savage .308 with a Leupold 3.5x10. Never had a problem with that one... I think I have a least 3.5-4" of relief, is that enough?

Thanks for the heads up, er eye up. :shock: :D
AR167

Postby Hoot » Fri May 28, 2010 6:43 am

Look at how far back my scope is here:
I've put between 250 and 300 rounds down range hunkered over it in benchrest fashion and I haven't had taken a header yet. When testing loads, I let it pretty much go where it wants too. Usually winds up 1-2 inches back from where it started in the teflon powder lubed BR1000 front rest. Get better groups than with a death grip on it. The recoil pad adds enough LOP to stop the objective just short of my eyebrow each shot. Does take steely nerves though not to blink. :shock:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Fri May 28, 2010 1:56 pm

AR167 wrote:
that scope looks like it sits in a position setup for shooting .223s. Fair warning, the .450 kicks a little more... beware of scope eye! :o I'd recommend a scope designed for longer eye relief like the types made for slug guns or muzzleloaders.

I tried to compare the eye relief to my Savage .308 with a Leupold 3.5x10. Never had a problem with that one... I think I have a least 3.5-4" of relief, is that enough?

Thanks for the heads up, er eye up. :shock: :D

Yes, you should be fine.
bushmeister

Postby AR167 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Whew! This rifle is a BLAST! My buddy shot it 3 times, he had enough... :lol: I manned up and popped the other 17.

Recoil was a bit more than I expected. Definitely got a good snap to it.

The muzzle jump was fairly pronounced, but I quickly got used to it. Glad I had the limbsaver pad though.... :mrgreen:

Only had access to a 25 yd range today, but after I made some windage adjustments, as seen on the center target, I was good to go.

Really pleased with the accuracy so far. Just for fun I swapped out the 450 upper for my 223 and back to check the zero. Zero was not affected! Can't do that with a bolt action can ya?

All 20 rds fed and ejected like they are supposed to. No forward assist needed, bolt locked open on the last round every time. Must be that new black follower!

Thanks again for all the insight, probably made my 1st experience a perfect one! BTW, the upper left is my buddies 3shot string. ;)

The top right is a 2 shot hole-in-hole. Definitely leaves a massive hole! Can't wait to see what it will do to a deer this season.

AR167

Postby bushmeister » Fri May 28, 2010 4:06 pm

AR167 wrote:Can't wait to see what it will do to a deer this season.
[ http://i50.tinypic.com/2z5mx75.jpg ]

Well the ones I shot last year didn't have time to wave a white flag.. You'll be impressed.
bushmeister

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles