The Nikon Omega ML scope

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

The Nikon Omega ML scope

Postby MudBug » Thu May 27, 2010 5:56 pm

For those of you that bought them (or I guess any brand of ML or Slog scope) did you buy the 3-9x or the 1.6-5x and why?

I'm gonna replace my accupoint with one of these and can't decide which. I was leaning towards the low power model because that just how I generally choose to go on anything I will likely be using at 200 yards or shorter, but no one around me has them in stock. However One place has the 3-9x on sale for $199.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: The Nikon Omega MIl scope

Postby talonxracer » Thu May 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I got the 3x9 power Omega. I use the rifle primarily for deer hunting and occasionally need the 9x to check the deer out. Down on 3x the additional eye relief is great for target acquisition of a running deer. This combo simply feels correct to me.
talonxracer

Re: The Nikon Omega ML scope

Postby BayouBob » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 am

I bought the Slughunter in 1.6 - 5. I've only had one trip to the range to sight in with it and may not hunt with it until fall unless I go after and axis deer in Texas next month. First impressions are pretty good. It is reasonably bright for a moderately priced scope. It has long eye relief and the eye relief is not at all critical. I mainly use my 450 for still hunting when I am liable to get a short range shot and need to shoot with both eyes open if the critter is moving. 5x is still enough power for a 100 yard+ shot if I have time to settle down or find a rest. At 5 power from a bench rest I was able to print several 100 yard groups of less than an inch using factory ammo.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby YoteAddict » Fri May 28, 2010 7:27 pm

MudBug wrote:For those of you that bought them (or I guess any brand of ML or Slog scope) did you buy the 3-9x or the 1.6-5x and why?...One place has the 3-9x on sale for $199.

I have a 2x pistol scope and find that to be too little magnification for the kind of detail I enjoy shooting at. I prefer a picture that is a little more up close and personal.

My 3x-9x Omega scopes have been used to slay elk, javelina, and coyote all using 9x. For the elk, I switched from 3-9 to get a better look at the antlers.

I have no problem shooting on 9x with both eyes open so finding moving coyotes or distant targets is achievable. And in case you don't like two eyes open, you can always go back to 3x and that's rarely too much magnification.

I haven't tried the lower power variable scopes but it will come down to personal preference for you. I can say that I like the 3x-9x very much.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
YoteAddict

Postby Jailer » Fri May 28, 2010 7:59 pm

I have the Omega 3-9 on mine with the BDC reticule. Went to the range to day to check the accuracy of the reticule at the specified ranges but unfortunately I couldn't shoot worth a hill of beans today. I even took another rifle I have that is amazingly accurate and couldn't hit anything with that either. Not sure what was going on, just a bad range day for some reason.

My whole reason for doing this is to see how much difference the 16 inch barrel I have affects bullet drop down range. Hopefully will have some meaningful results to share soon.
Jailer

Postby MudBug » Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 am

YoteAddict wrote:
MudBug wrote:For those of you that bought them (or I guess any brand of ML or Slog scope) did you buy the 3-9x or the 1.6-5x and why?...One place has the 3-9x on sale for $199.

I have a 2x pistol scope and find that to be too little magnification for the kind of detail I enjoy shooting at. I prefer a picture that is a little more up close and personal.

My 3x-9x Omega scopes have been used to slay elk, javelina, and coyote all using 9x. For the elk, I switched from 3-9 to get a better look at the antlers.

I have no problem shooting on 9x with both eyes open so finding moving coyotes or distant targets is achievable. And in case you don't like two eyes open, you can always go back to 3x and that's rarely too much magnification.

I haven't tried the lower power variable scopes but it will come down to personal preference for you. I can say that I like the 3x-9x very much.

Due to my experience shooting 3-gun style stuff where I use them, and couple missed opportunities caused by animals right in front of me and too much magnification, I have really gravitated towards the low power variables in my hunting rifles also as long as I don't think I'll be shooting more than 300 yards.

I did buy the 3-9x though just because it was all that was in stock locally, and it was on sale. Also, I do think that the higher magnification will come in handy some time.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 450hunter » Sat May 29, 2010 10:52 pm

I found the Nikon Pro Staff 2 X 7 at Walmart for $129.00. Not a top of the line scope by any means, but it has the same life time warranty and has done well for me so far on other rifles. I even put it on my 6.8 in place of a Leupould VX II. I saved enough to get a red dot to sit piggy back. Now I can move the red dot to which ever gun I'm hunting with and just adjust it to the scopes zero, without sending a round down range.

This is my first post / reply. I took my 450 to the range for the first time today. I am very hooked. I have always liked what the big bore bullets did out of my smoke pole, and now I have one that lets you see what the deer does when it goes bang, and even loads another round for you!!!!! It only took three rounds to cut the x at about 30 yards, then two more to get it very close to zeroed at 100. My next three, three round groups all touched each other. A guy next to me shot it, and then I did. Our rounds touched each other. Very impressed!!!!! I don't shoot that good. I was also surprized with the kick, or lack there of. I'm a big guy but have always been a little kick shy. It feels much more like a push than a kick.

Can't wait to start reloading for this round and also for that first deer with it. I really like my 6.8 but thinking it may be assigned yote and zommbie duty while the 450 takes over in the deer woods.
450hunter

Postby 2zero6 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:48 am

450hunter wrote:This is my first post / reply.

Welcome to the Forum. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles