My shoulder hurts

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: My shoulder hurts

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:I used the limbsaver Tactical Snap-on Recoil pad Part # 10019 today and IT WORKS!!! I use a 6 position collapsible stock and this thing fits great.

Sounds like I need to get one for my lr-308 until I can afford to spring for the vltor Emod.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby thebrassnuckles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:32 pm

Great news!
I finally got back out to the range with the 450.

I brought along my cheapie 75 dollar Nikko-stifling scope in my LT QD mount....
I didn't rezero cause I was just shooting for groups.
Well I didn't get to set up at 100 cause we couldn't find the keys to the seatrain to get allthe target stands so I just set up at 75 shooting off the back of the truck. It wasn't the most stable platform bit I was able to get the group size down the about and inch, so I felt pretty good about it. Then I had to rezero my irons cause I bumped the FSB loose taking off the sling swivel the night before. ( I didn't use it and it got in the way when using sandbags.). I got it back good enough after about 9 rounds. (adjusted it the wrong way the first 2 times) after all that I did a quick tactical carbine workout with it. Man that thing kicks butt. The brake works pretty well I had some pretty quick controlled pairs. And headshots were pretty easy aswell.
Then I saw the gong up on the hill at 200. I thought... Heck yes let's do it.

Sat at the table and got stable and squeezed one off. I aimed at the center of the head and I hit the dirt just below the target and it bounced into the gong, not good enough. So I try again. This time I point it at the top of the head. THWACK!! Solid hit. And I mean solid. My father inlaw was shooting some lapping round through his new 7mm STW. ANd my lil 450 sounded like it was throwing about as much energy at that plate. (his lapping rounds were light loads). I Poo a few full power 7STW rounds. Man, that Cartridge let's you know you are shooting it.

All in all a great day.
450 runs good
larue stealth runs good
1911 runs good

excellent day.

Not I just gotta reload all my 450 brass cause I have no more loaded rounds. :shock:

edited for professionalism :oops:
Last edited by thebrassnuckles on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebrassnuckles

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:08 pm

You know Nuckles, you write great stuff and are a scientist worth his keep. I truly enjoy your adventures. So, why taint your great works, with needless vulgarity? Keep up the good work..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Sounds like great fun! Pics????
bushmeister

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:35 am

you know what I did?

I brought along my camera and managed to avoid taking any pics all day. :oops:
thebrassnuckles

Postby Cutright » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:49 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new and am trying to get my 450 where my dad can shoot it with his pace maker. I have the Ross break and Ordered the CCWS from Hoot and a Tubbs Spring. Is a recoilless A2 stock different from a regular A2? What is an Edwards adjustable and a Dead Mule? Do you think I need a H3 buffer too? I plan on getting the limb saver
Cutright

Postby Specter23 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:59 pm

I would wait to see Hoots response on the H3 in conjunction with his system. Sounds like your doing a lot of things right.

I have tried almost nothing to mitigate my recoil so I can't add a whole lot except, if for some reason the choice arises - have them relocate the pacemaker to the other side. This is not a common practice, but I know around here they usually try to ask if you are a hunter or shooter prior to placing a pacemaker for this reason.

There are also a lot of new shooting shirts out that disperse and cushion recoil.
Specter23

Postby m113103 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:38 pm

You can go to Brownells and get the mercury recoil reducers. You can also get a strap on recoil pad. :D :D
m113103

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:49 am

Gunnut, the member who produced the recoilless A2 stock, hasn't been active here in a while. According to him, he had the misfortune of developing a strong allergy to the chemical components in the 2-part casting compound he used to fill the inside of a hollow A2 stock and had to abandon making them.

Having read his initial R&D into making the recoilless A2 stock, it was apparent that anyone could reproduce his result. You need an A1 or A2 stock, some kind of 2-part casting compound and a model of what you wanted to cast into the compound.

First and foremost are simple solutions. Adding weight to any rifle will have a positive impact upon perceived recoil. You can buy a simple insert molded to match the cleaning kit compartment inside an A2 stock. It adds weight, plain and simple. It is not an active component. The price is carrying more weight, which depending upon how much you weigh and your upper body strength may or may not be a factor.

Gunny's stock went beyond that solution in casting one or two chambers inside the stock that were the appropriate dimensions to allow adding one or two spring weight or mercury filled recoil reducers, sold by several sources.

My solution was to cast a hollow metal tube inside my stock fitted with a threaded end cap. The inside diameter of the tube could accommodate any number of either active or passive components. Anything from lead shot to in my case, a DIY spring weight. The length of the tube was limited by its outside diameter. The bigger it was, the shorter it had to be due to the stock being tapered toward the receiver. You could however cast several in parallel, of different lengths. I wound up using fiberglass fiber entrained Bondo. It sticks to the inside of the stock very well, if you rough it up with some 60 grit sandpaper.

My first foray of several involved a single tube about 1 inch ID. My second experiment involved 3 tubes in parallel of smaller (I'm at work right now) diameter and of different lengths. The single tube with a large "shake weight" in it was very effective. The 3 tube solution employed 3 different smaller weights equaling the one big one and 3 different tension spring sets to go after different recoil impulse frequencies. It is also effective. Without an accelerometer to actually measure the two side by side, it's hard to say which one is best. They both have interesting points. The sky is the limit depending upon your imagination and talents.

Gunny developed an assessment tool that utilized an accelerometer mounted to the upper and feeding readings into a PC, to go beyond perceived recoil and into measurable recoil as a means of testing different experiments to the same standard. His thread in the Market section Here. It is a long but good read. If your lack of patience eclipses your need to understand, it will be an even longer read. ;)

Active recoil reduction techniques do work. Do they totally eliminate recoil? No, but properly tuned, they can have a significant impact (no pun intended) upon it. They go beyond floating the upper on a pom-pom spring like some reduction techniques, which also work.

Before you ask, don't...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Would it be worth installing a H3 buffer? Is the factory A2 hollow or solid under the compartment? I found the Dead Mule, but what is the Edwards? I've read mixed reviews on the dead mule. A lot of people say that a hunk of lead would do the same thing
Cutright

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles