My shoulder hurts

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: My shoulder hurts

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Cutright wrote:Would it be worth installing a H3 buffer? Is the factory A2 hollow or solid under the compartment? I found the Dead Mule, but what is the Edwards? I've read mixed reviews on the dead mule. A lot of people say that a hunk of lead would do the same thing

I do not use telescopic stocks so I can not speak from experience on the different buffers employed in a carbine recoil tube. I do not nelieve they are meant to be used in the rifle length recoil tube that an A2 or A1 stock uses. There is a limit to how much extra weight you can add to the spring system and carrier before not only do you experience diminishing returns, but may actually have a negative impact upon the reliability of the extraction and chambering cycke. There are a plethora of documents at your beckon and call online that explain how an AR 15 works. A little understanding can pay off in saving time speculating upon corrective actions to address recoil. For example, Gunny's graphs in his thread show that the lion's share of recoil has already occurred before the bolt unlocks and the carrier begins it's rearward travel. Again, time spent getting educated, is time well spent.

The A1 and A2 stocks start out hollow and a portion of the space is filled with low expanding foam that hardens, but can be chipped out if you want to cast the entire interior. The cleaning kit well is actually cast into that foam. This is documented online as well. In the case of the A1 stock, which I like better than the A2 because you can attach a SIMS Limbsaver without incurring too much increase in L.O.P. over an A2 without a limbsaver (= waffle bruise maker). When folks ask about improving the comfort of the shooting experience when wearing just a Tee shirt, my number one bang for buck is a SIMS Limbsaver. Behind that is a tie between a muzzle brake and either a passive or active weight system, though the 450b caliber is not where a muzzle brake really shines. After those two, come all the other accessories. Each may contribute a little to overall experience, but not nearly as impressive in dealing with the majority of the recoil impulse, just the aftershocks.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:15 am

Thanks Hoot, I will start doing my research before I ask you guys my stupid questions. It is unfair that I rely on this forum because I am too lazy to learn on my own how this platform works
Cutright

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:41 am

I recently experienced shooting the 450B in a single shot rifle with no pad and no brake. The raw recoil was considerable. My 870 12 gauge doesn't even kick that hard! So much so, that I've sent the barrel in for threading and I'm currently hunting for a Limbsaver pad for this stock. When I get the barrel back, it will have a ROSS brake on it.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:07 am

for someone wishing to use a carbine style buffer in a A1/A2 stock/buffer tube - they make spacers to help take up the difference. http://heavybuffers.com/spacer.html

however you will note that a H3 buffer in question is only 0.2oz heavier than a standard A1/A2 rifle buffer. to get any gain in recipricating mass via changing up the buffer you'd have to order somethign from someplace like heavybuffers.com to make a significant change to the buffer system weight. on a carbine adjustable stock system depending on what you have a h3 buffer may be the ticket to slowing things down a bit and taming the recoil on the bigger bore systems.

heavybuffers.com does offer a XH (11oz) rifle buffer for big-bore type platforms - but typicall of their weighty options, they're pricey (material cost issue)
http://heavybuffers.com/ar15rxh.html

you can also consider one of the hydraulic buffer systems as well. My friend has one in his beowulf and compared to the standard buffer you can easily feel the difference. I ran one for several years in my .308 adjustable stock carbine - and that thing was a pussycat to shoot.

i have since gone the route of the XH buffer to see if i can mitigate the lock time abuse to my brass that way since that lower shares 2 uppers and one buffer is cheaper than two adjustable gas blocks. we'll see how that works out.

HTH
plant_one

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:13 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I recently experienced shooting the 450B in a single shot rifle with no pad and no brake. The raw recoil was considerable. My 870 12 gauge doesn't even kick that hard! So much so, that I've sent the barrel in for threading and I'm currently hunting for a Limbsaver pad for this stock. When I get the barrel back, it will have a ROSS brake on it.

try some Brenneke Magnum Crush - i beleive they used to be what were the Brenneke "gold" series hunting slugs. those things are rough. my dad hunts with them from time to time - and keeps a few boxes around along with a H&R ultra light rifled slugger. any time we have company over shooting who like to brag about dealing with recoil - dad will break that combo out and let him pull the trigger a couple times. "here give this a try, you'll love this" 8-) its uncomfortable to say the least lol

squeeze off 4 or 5 of those in that gun and i've had enough and would rather go play with something else at that point :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby 2500 HD » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:06 pm

I hunt with a h&r ultra light slug gun. Scope and all is under 6 1/2 lbs. Life before a Sims Limbsaver after 5 slugs running 1900 fps. Your body would tremble even your feet. Lol. Limbsaver pads make a world of difference. I hand mine to the boys that brag about recoil. Haven't had too many ask for another slug. Lol.
Killed a pile of deer with it though.
2500 HD

Postby m113103 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:15 pm

My worst was a single shot 10ga with slugs. Even when held tight it bruised shoulder. Never could get anyone to shoot it without the weight in the buttstock. :P
m113103

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:10 pm

I've shot a 416 Remington Mag guys, needless to say I know what real recoil feels like.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I've shot a 416 Remington Mag guys, needless to say I know what real recoil feels like.

i just meant if you wanted your 870 to kick a lil harder :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:45 am

plant_one wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I've shot a 416 Remington Mag guys, needless to say I know what real recoil feels like.

i just meant if you wanted your 870 to kick a lil harder :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ain't nothing like shooting my 870 with 3" Magnum Triple Ought buck shot! Definitely gets your attention but it's got a rubber recoil pad on it so it's manageable. My little New England Arms single shot on the other hand has a plastic butt plate and that little rascal hurt even through two T shirts and a hoodie.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles