Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Postby Colohunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm

I left it for the two days before handling it, the hammer drops and the upper opens and closes with ease. The only thing that is tight is taking the firing pin out. I may end up trimming a little to make clear a little easier.
Colohunter

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Colohunter wrote:I left it for the two days before handling it, the hammer drops and the upper opens and closes with ease. The only thing that is tight is taking the firing pin out. I may end up trimming a little to make clear a little easier.

That's normal. There's a trick to it. Pull the cotter pin out and allow the firing pin to slide rearward enough to be clear of the bolt and cam pin. Remove the cam pin and pull the bolt out of the carrier. That'll allow the firing pin to cock sideways enough to fall out. After a time or two it becomes second nature.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 pm

That makes sense, I usually pull the bolt forward as I am taking it apart. I'll try your method as well.
Colohunter

Postby cptrifeg2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 am

I used stainless just to see the difference and while it served its purpose I chew the hell out of the back of my brass. They are not extractor marks but rather the bolt face smashing the brass. Any suggestions?

CPTRifeg2

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 am

cptrifeg2 wrote:I used stainless just to see the difference and while it served its purpose I chew the hell out of the back of my brass. They are not extractor marks but rather the bolt face smashing the brass. Any suggestions?

CPTRifeg2

Stainless what? Bolt? Firing Pin? Piece of stainless rod as a Carrier Weight?
Please clarify...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cptrifeg2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Hoot wrote:
cptrifeg2 wrote:I used stainless just to see the difference and while it served its purpose I chew the hell out of the back of my brass. They are not extractor marks but rather the bolt face smashing the brass. Any suggestions?

CPTRifeg2

Stainless what? Bolt? Firing Pin? Piece of stainless rod as a Carrier Weight?
Please clarify...

Hoot

The counter weight is made of stainless. I inspected the boltface, it looks fine. here is a pick, note the cresent moon cuts in the brass. I was also dealing with some convert Pmag issues with lip feeding but the actual standard mag yielded the same thing with every round. I think it indicated slamming home a little hard but I am far from an expert.

cptrifeg2

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:50 pm

What I'm seeing looks like swiping from the bolt unlocking before chamber pressure has dropped enough to allow the case to release it's grip upon the chamber walls. Sometimes referred to as a timing issue. That or a similar looking manifestation where the case is driven back into the bolt face from the loads being too hot or in some circumstances, having lube on the cartridges or on the chamber wall prior to ignition. The latter reduces the case's ability to cling to the chamber wall until pressure drops and they're supposed to release just before the bolt unlocks. Neither is a desirable condition, but should be addressed in it's own thread. The additional carrier weight will not cause those conditions. They are not the result of too much force slamming them into the chamber, though one might arrive at that conclusion at first experience.

Many folks have had similar experiences and if you start a thread with that image, I'm sure they'll wade in with more advice.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby cptrifeg2 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I miss read your response the first time- teach me to read from a cell phone. Looks like I have some homework to do.

cptrifeg2

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:54 pm

cptrifeg2 wrote:I miss read your response the first time- teach me to read from a cell phone. Looks like I have some homework to do.

It's been a while now.How did your stainless version work out?

Hoot
Hoot

Postby longrangedog1000yd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:48 am

hoot, have you had any problems with mid or start loads functioning with your ccws?
longrangedog1000yd

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles