Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Postby Chief506 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks Hoot and Dawg for your point of view. The more I thought about it, the worse the idea became. I'm just adding to many variable's to an already working system. I work with very good machinist and toolmakers. I'll keep picking there brains for ideas. Until then, I'll go with the good ol acronym K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)!
Oh and by the way, My ammunition comes tomorrow!! By that time, I should have everything installed and mounted to get this bad boy, punching holes!!
Chief
Chief506

Postby Hoot » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am

Chief506 wrote:Thanks Hoot and Dawg for your point of view. The more I thought about it, the worse the idea became. I'm just adding to many variable's to an already working system. I work with very good machinist and toolmakers. I'll keep picking there brains for ideas. Until then, I'll go with the good ol acronym K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)!
Oh and by the way, My ammunition comes tomorrow!! By that time, I should have everything installed and mounted to get this bad boy, punching holes!!
Chief

It's 8 degrees outside as I type this, so I envy those of you who live where it is still good shooting weather. Not so much when it's the middle of the summer and it's 75 here. Anyway, Chief let me recommend one of the best purchases you can make for your 450b, before you shoot it, if it's not too late. Get a Sims Limbsaver, slip-on recoil pad. That meat tenderizer butt plate can be harsh when tee shirt weather returns. Not so important when you're bundled up against the cold though. Walmart sells a Winchester branded version that is a Sims Limbsaver re-branded. They are one in the same, but the Winchester branded one sells for $10-15 less than the Sims. The packaging even say Sims on the back. Here's a Link to the thread. Using a slip-on recoil pad does not make you a wuss. There were days early on when I might go through a hundred 450b rounds in one setting doing various reloading experiments, in tee shirt weather. That Sims earned it keep!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Yep, I've got a Sims on my 450b, too...love that thing. Coincidentally, the little bit of extra pull length it added just happened to be exactly the right measurement for my arm length...I was afraid it would be too long, but not so...who knew?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby kobraken » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Got my 450 sited in last weekend,and had my wife bring me a limbesaver that afternoon. Much better now. Also added a muzzle break from Ross, and )Hoots counter weight system and a 2stage gisselle trigger. Gonna test it on Mr Piggy in the morning. Wish me luck . Ken
Here piggy,piggy,piggy, I got something for you.
kobraken

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Sounds like a great rig....any pics to post?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:06 am

Gunny has a Recoiless A1 stock with a custom Limbsaver pad. That's what I've got on mine. LOVE IT!
Check them out and give him a call.
http://www.arrecoilless.net
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:52 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Dawg, you are correct that the rifle works fine without any weight, but the side crimp and BCA mass have different contributions to the overall cycle.

Thanx for pointing this out, Hoot. Could you elaborate a bit on the differences, not only for my benefit, (I seem to recall a phone conversation about this a few years ago yet I've forgotten the details), but also for some of the newer guys?

I spent a few days pondering how to break from my normal style of over-explaining and came up with this:

It's all about time.

When the crimp type factors in, the BCA is still locked in the barrel extension and its weight is of no consequence.
A long (in rifle speed) time after the crimp has become history, the bullet passes the gas port, routing some of the gas back to the BCA.
At that point, the weight of the BCA becomes a factor.

Here's a couple of visuals:

and

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:13 am

Yep. That's exactly what I was wondering about. Thanx for the visual. It certainly shows the two separate events.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby kinghale » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:39 am

hey guys, new here. so far i have got a bunch of great info. thanks. i was comparing my 450 buffer and my 5.56 buffer. the 450 is larger? i got my 450 about a year before bushmaster left windham me. interesting. any coments
kinghale

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 am

kinghale wrote:hey guys, new here. so far i have got a bunch of great info. thanks. i was comparing my 450 buffer and my 5.56 buffer. the 450 is larger? i got my 450 about a year before bushmaster left windham me. interesting. any coments

I'll go out on a limb and guess that your 5.56 has a telescopic stock as opposed to an A2 stock. The rifles without an A2 stock have a lighter buffer.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles